Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Complaint place at department of professional and occupational r

Options
don_163
don_163 Member Posts: 67
for your advice.And i agree about keeping stock on the truck however,even if I'd had it on the truck this customer would have not been happy because he has or is custom to being walk thru his problem over the phone.

Here is some of Rob reply on my behalf.

Dear Sir.
My name is Rob Kendrick owner of Kendrick heating +cooling.
State lic#&*)(%,I am writing this letter in responce to a complaint registered by Mr Duncan Wallace file# *&%$%# regarding LOwes Mechanical.
Mr and Mrs Wallace has been along time customer of mine and at the time of their request for service I was not avialible that day.
I refered Mr Lowe to Mr Wallace and he was hesitant to call
him and said he would wait for me.He has a gas fired boiler with four seperate zones.The complaint was 1 zone wasnt heating Mr wallace is a fairly complitent man and the pass I have helped him over the phone in the past to troubleshoot various problem.During our phone conversation he told me he had just replace his Tstat with a programable stat and it would not work.
I had him verifly the control wiring at the stat and could'nt remedy the problem so I agree to come out the following day.

The letter goes on but it long and to keep from boring you all I will keep it short.

My conclusion is the reason I was/am the bad guy here is because this customer is custom do doing thing himself and getting free advice over the phone.

It like having kids if you buy them candy everytime they enter a store they expect some candy everytimg they go into a store... right?

Lesson learn.

Comments

• don_163
    Options
    Complaint place on me at the DPOR.

This is my first complaint place on me the nine year I've
    been in business.

I would love to hear the wetheads comment on this to see where I went wrong.

Describe the complaint.
    2-24-06 I contacted our long time heating contractor,Rob Kendrick because of a heating proble.He suspected a defective zone valve+in the evaluation process the pressure relief valve was damage.Because of his involement in a large job he said he would send Don Lowe on 2-27-06 to replace the pressure relief valve at his expense.However in the interest of being fair I paid $175 of the 250 charge(I
    paid Rob Kendrick $75 previiously}+ Don Lowe said zone valve was ok.Unfortunately it was not + the heating problem
    continued.Lowes came out on 3-16-06+3-15-06 to replace the zone valve+ checked operation.He was only here 15 mintues to replace only the valve,no operation check as air persists in the system.I asked for an Itemized bill for the original $250 charge in which he refused to give.There was
    no need for him to come without the zonevalve thereby charging me another $85 visit charge.Further he should give a customer a receipt listing work done and charges.
    Thank you Duncan Wallace.

Now here my side of the story.

Mr Kendrick a dear friend on mine and a hvac contractor of over thirty years call and saids....
    Don I have a customer that I was out on yesterday..2-23-06.
    And he had installed his on tstat and it was wire wrong.
    I wire it in properly and now he's calling about a water leak.I'm to busy do you have a chance that you can get there today and find out whats going on.

I call him and said Mr Duncan this is Don Lowe with Lowes Mechanical and I can get by around 5 oclock and see what the problem is.His reply was that fine and what ever it is Rob must have broke it being he was just here yesterday.

I and the help arrive at 5.30 and discover the boiler is up to 30 lb and the relief is popping.I reachup turn off the water feeder valve and go and get a hose and drain down the boiler to 15 lbs.Turn the water valve on and find that the prv is stuck ride open and is overfeeding the boiler.
    I explain to the customer that the needs replacing in which
    again I hear rob touch it so it must have broken it.
    He then point me to the direction of the gate valve that was also leaking at the stem and say Rob mess with that as well in must have broke it also.

At this time I'm tired of hearing it so I explain to him that the valve went bad from oxygen and minerals and that
    that is the reason for the prv and gate valve demise.At the
    time I also ask when the last time it was service and got no reply.

So I explain to him that I did not have a prv or the ball valve on the truck,being we dont use gate valves.
    And I will have to return tomorrow.
    Anyway I told him and he watch as we purge all zones of air and turn off the water feeder so he could have heat till we return.And that he needs to keep a eye on the pressure being we have shut off the water feeder and he has no low water cutoff on the boiler.
    Any way we got heat and I explain to him I would return tomorrow 2-25-06.

I call him on the 2-25-26 and told him I could not make it untill the 2-27-06.His reply was that would be fine and the heat is working and the pressure is maintaining around 18 psi.

2-27-06.We arrive turn off boiler,drain boiler down installed new ball valve for the expansion tank and also installed new prv valve.Fill boiler,purge air out of all zone and check operation.While Mr wallace watch.
    Acouple days later he calls the shop and asked for a itemized bill the secatary looks at the invoice and said it
    show on the invoice of so much for parts and then it also state the labor rate.How much more itemized.And she said he hangs up.

Well the 3-13-06 rolls around and we get a call from Mr Wallace saying he has no heat and the same zone that Rob work on and yes it our fault he still has a problem.

I go out that very same day on 3-13-06 and discover that the zone in question that the zone valve end switch was intemitted and not bringing in the circulator or the boiler.
    And that being you have three other zones valve on it was
    proper the reason Rob did not catch it was because the other zone were keeping in the circ and boiler.
    Ths the reason for heat some time and other time not.

We return on 3-15-06 and replace the zone valve and Mr Wallace was on a trip to another state playing gulf and we
    gave Mrs Duncan the bill.Who also just like her husband say she thought it was high way robbery that i would charge a additional 298 dollars for only 15 mintues of work.
    I acourse explain to her I made a trip out here on the 3-13-06.I also had to pickup the valve at the supply house and that I have overhead that is also figure in to run my business.

Her reply was well, I still dont think it right you charge that much money.However in the same sentence she asked would I be willing to clean and service her ac equipment when it comes time.And I reply yes.

Now here I get home from a hard days work to find a letter
    from the DPOR..that I need to address this complaint with
    them before 5-8-06.

And Mr Wallace if you are reading this post..I just want to say I'm glad Rob had you as customer instead of Lowes Mechanical all these years.
    Because if I had to depend on customer like you then I would give up and go to work for Mickey Ds.
  • Ed_26
    Ed_26 Member Posts: 284
    Options
    complaint

Soooooo... when are you servicing the AC?
  • don_156
    don_156 Member Posts: 87
    Options
    LOL.

When I change my name to charity heating and air.
  • Empire_2
    Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
    Options
    Don't worry about it.

For every complaint, I receive 5000.00 complements. Out of that I get 4 dinner invites, 3 picnick go too's, 2 please attend my childrens babtism, and 1 We have you in our will. ;-) Brush it off. You cannot please everyone all the time because you would surely piss someone off.

Mike T.
  • jim lockard
    jim lockard Member Posts: 1,059
    Options
    I'm with Mike

Of all the things we do in business, working in another man's house can be the hardest. Best Wishes J.Lockard
  • don_163
    Options
    Thanks guys.

I was more mad then I was worry.I now had time to cool off and will write my letter and explain our side of the story.

I going to also forgive Mr/Mrs Wallace.After all I have no clue as to what happen in their life to make them act and treat people the way they do.

• ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    Options
    Don

YOu can't make Everyone happy, sometimes you have to fire a customer :)

Just a slight suggestion, why don't you carry feed/backflow combo on the truck ? Also every time we change a either a feed/relief/expansion, we change all three. It eliminates alot of call backs and customer complaints about " You were just here... ".

Have a cold one, take a deep breath and remember your not the only one.

Scott

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Brad White_61
    Brad White_61 Member Posts: 9
    Options
    I would hate to be the Wallace's Physician...

Hypothetical Complaint to the State Board of Medical Licensure:

Doctor Rogers went in on 4/19 and stitched up my hernia. During recovery, I got the hiccups. Doc Rogers must have bumped my diaphragm when he was stitching the hernia. When I got home I had a dizzy spell. Doc Rogers must have cut my inner ear and balance center when he was stitching the hernia... Then I got Doc Roger's bill in the mail. Had a heart attack... Doc Rogers must have occluded my coronary artery...when he was stitching the hernia....

Poor Doctor Rogers... he was trained in internal medicine but finds himself practicing proctology....

:)
  • Christian Egli_2
    Christian Egli_2 Member Posts: 812
    Options
    Hot potato

I don't know how dear a friend Mr Kendrick is, but passing this customer to you was most definitely not a golden opportunity. Maybe not.

Perhaps it is just as simple as mad love not spontaneously occurring with the Wallaces. It's normal, and we're not teenagers anymore, we get over it.

Do you think there is anything broken with the AC that is just waiting for your magic "touch"? Brad's doctor's got the magic touch!

What does Mr Kendrick think of this? Why wasn't he included in the complaint?

Good luck to all of you.
  • KAG
    KAG Member Posts: 82
    Options
    Not to rock the boat

Many services company's have complaints about thier practices (prices). I was told once that 4% of the people where put here to make our lives difficult. Knowing which is the 4% is the millon dollar question. But, (here it comes) you say in your message that one of your services tech. missed the problem the first time and you did not have a zone valve on your truck. If this is true take it as a learning exsperance. When I recieve compliants about my service, (after I cool down) I try to think of what I could have done different. You may be in the right, but you can still be wrong. There is always room for improvment, this is what seperates the cons from the pros.
    Keep perfecting your craft.
This discussion has been closed.