Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

adding a radiant zone

Options
Mitch_4
Mitch_4 Member Posts: 955
thanks gents..

I am the one who did the heat loss,and am Installing the boiler. Replaceing the heat plant is no biggie, I can do that, and I can fix tyhe near boiler piping.

Just looking for good ideas to hook a low temp into the existing pipe.

The slab is insulated, it look perfect for radiant. How many btu's/ft from 1/2" pex can I get?

thanks again.

Mitch

Comments

• Mitch_4
    Mitch_4 Member Posts: 955
    Options
    Have a 4 seasons room to add radiant

I do mainly forced air, but a buddy of mine recently bought a house and is adding a 4 season sunroom. He has a high temp (180°) baseboard system, but want to add a radiant floor zone inthe new room.

We are replacing the boiler with a properly sized one as the old beast is about 2-1/2 times to big (including the new zone.)

We can do an overpour (up to 2.5".)

As I am fairly new to radiant, I would appreciate any advice as to piping strategy to add this zone, and how to pipe it to the existing boiler piping. Also how many BTU's / ft of 1/2" pex,I can do the layout from that. The floor will be tiled after we're done.

Thanks for all the help.

Mitch
  • RoosterBoy
    RoosterBoy Member Posts: 459
    Options
    Mitch, When you had the boiler sized

evidently someone helped you make that determination...as there is a bit of info that would help ,like where your home is ,what size the 4 season room is ,how or what you are considering using the room for might all best be relayed to the person who determined the btu requirement for your home. Because it is difficult to visualize how well insulated the room maybe,and how far to ground water and inumerable other minor technicalities ...really,you need someone to sort some of this stuff out for you..
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Options
    First off

perform a heat load calc to see how much heat the room will require. It is possible that a room with 3 exterior walls and a lot of glass may not be able to be heated with just radiant floors. There is a free load calc at the left of the screen here.

Sunrooms with a lot of glass can be tricky to heat and control, via radiant floor heat, if this is a concrete slab. You might do some floor warming and use baseboard or a small kickspace heater to be able to ramp up and down more quickly.

This link shows a few ways to connect a radiant zone into a hw baseboard system.

http://www.pmmag.com/CDA/ArticleInformation/features/BNP__Features__Item/0,2379,62497,00.html

hot rod

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
This discussion has been closed.