Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

cw pipe vibration

Options
owner said this only started happening after i put the new 47-2? where would i start looking for a loose washer? also, only happens just before the boiler is ready to go on? very strange

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options

i installed a new mm 47-2 feeder lwco on a weil mclain.. customer called a few days later to tell me that the cold water pipes in the building are rattiling just befor ethe heats turn on..i went there and kiced on the boiler and sure enough, the cold water pipe leading into the boiler room was shaking pretty good.. i dont believe the boiler was taking on water.. i manually fed the boiler and no noise appeared.. only a few seconds before the boiler is ready to kick on it will happen for about 30 secs and then stop when the boiler fires? any opinions appreciated.. mike
  • Brad White_49
    Brad White_49 Member Posts: 14
    Options
    I would look at

the incoming water pressure. If much over 80 the pressure reduction may cause such vibration especially during close-off. A loose washer may also be suspected. A PRV may be necesscary if this is the case.

Just one thought.

Brad
  • blackoakbob_2
    blackoakbob_2 Member Posts: 12
    Options
    check.....

valve may help. Is the boiler dropping down to 0 psi or even to a vaccum before start up? Is it a pumped return or gavity? Maybe some returning water is causing the control to bounce a little. Possible some solder stuck on the seat...take it a part and clean it. Don't you love it when things like this happen? Best Regards, mike.
  • Empire_2
    Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
    Options
    Mike, Try this....

Close off your water valve to the LWCO. Open it about 1 or 2 turns only and see how it functions. I'm thinking excessive inlet pressure also.

Mike T.
  • Paul Fredricks_3
    Paul Fredricks_3 Member Posts: 1,557
    Options
    Same thing

We had a boiler that was doing this all the time, and of course right after we rebuilt the feeder. Tried everything, finally put on an SB1156 feeder to feed the 47-2 which solved the noise. Unfortunately we then realized the boiler was leaking inside and had to change the boiler. Couldn't see the leak, but the owner finally mentioned that the neighbor saw white smoke.
  • Empire_2
    Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
    Options
    Hey Paul

I'll bet without even knowing it, You made the Pope selection. White smoke means approval has been made.

Mike T. ;-)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    yes but,

this wasnt happening with the old 47-2.. the old control was flooding the boiler and was rotted in every way.. no that i changed it, this vibration is happening.. the entire 1" cw feed into the boiler room is shaking and vibrating, as well as the cw risers leading to the 1st floor..

few notes: obviously a steamer with a gravity return.. 2 p-trols on the boiler.. mike
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,113
    Options
    check valve

I do believe i have seen and used in some instances a check valve in the cold water feed and that seemed to stop the water line hammering i installed it after the main shut off and before the manual feed .It's been a while since i've run intoi this promblem but i do remenber a old timer solving the same sitution years ago with one hope it helps peace and good luck clammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
This discussion has been closed.