Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Tuff PEX

Options
kevin coppinger_4
kevin coppinger_4 Member Posts: 2,124
look at radiant job that was a mees today...besides the piping which does not make sence it had Uponor Tuff pex in the floor and ceiling.(strange that it did not say Wirsbo) It said it could be used for potable water but felt like it had no oxygen barrierWhich is the question....any better way to tell?....the job is 6 years old and around here (NH) Wirsbo was the norm from supply houses...makes me wonder if it was a homeowner/mail order job..the only info on google had it used to plumb motor homes!!!!....kpc

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=323&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    Options
    my memory is real different lately...

buh a few years ago (which i recently discovered might mean 10->13 years ago)a buddy of mine had some cream covered pex pipe he said it was from uponor and as i wasnt installing it i looked at it saw it had a cream colour skin on it and thought 'yuh Right:)'' Ummm HuHum Sure:)'

maybe it was !
    :)
  • Tim Doran
    Tim Doran Member Posts: 208
    Options
    Tuff Pex

Is a product for the manufactured home industry. It is pex-A without a barrier.

Tim D.
  • George_10
    George_10 Member Posts: 580
    Options
    If this system is cleaned and treated

with our products, you may be able to keep the corrosion to a minimum even though it does not have an oxygen barrier tubing. Our treatment product not only inhibits corrosion, but has an oxygen scavenger in it.

Check us out at www.rhomarwater.com

Or give me a call at 800-543-5975

George Hunt
  • kevin coppinger_4
    Options
    George....

are you saying that I won't need to seperate the tubing from the boiler by way of a HX if I use your products in the system? kpc

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Jerry_15
    Jerry_15 Member Posts: 379
    Options

It has always been a wonderment to me that there is still some kind of debate about barrier/non barrier pex. This was going on when they were still selling trainloads of polybutylene. I'm glad that there are treatments for older non-barrier pex, but I would never consider using it for, well, anything; and it blows my mind that anyone would bother to make it, sell it, buy it, or put it in their house, for potable or non-potable water. Why in the world you would want to skimp on price on the one part of the job that is literally, written in stone? From a purely practical standpoint, how many different rolls of stuff do you want hanging around the shop? Sorry for the harange, but will this never end?
  • kevin coppinger_4
    Options
    Jerry...

This job was done by a homeowner that new little or nothing about radiant heat let alone barrier non barrier tubing....he must have just found whatever cheap and through it in...they use it in mobile homes......kpc

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Certainly...

Kevin, that is one of thre approved methods for corrosion control.

CONTINUOUS chemical treatment, or

Isolation heat exchanger, or

all non ferrous components.

The problem with chemicals is that they forget to get done, and the next thing you know, things go bad... in a HURRY.

Not for me...

ME
  • Jerry_15
    Options

That figgers, but I still think they should just stop making non-barrier pex.
  • Jerry_15
    Options

How exactly would one continuously inject chemicals into a closed-loop system without raising the pressure, and dumping liquid (we can't call it water anymore). Please enlighten me.
This discussion has been closed.