Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam Leak/White Plume

Options
Jeff_53
Jeff_53 Member Posts: 39
main venting and saw Steamhead's comment about
checking for a possible steam leak in the bolier.

I notice that on very cold days (0 and below) that we have a little white/visible exhaust coming from our chimney when the boiler runs.
On warmer days, if I look real hard, I can see heatwaves coming off the chimney. (I've always assumed I was seeing transformed dollers going up the chimney.) And yet I never see a reduction of water in the sight glass that's not in proportion to the weekly blowdown of the Low water cut off. (My system does not have an automatic feed so I add water as needed). Given the situation described, is it possible that my old boiler has some kind of leak? What other indicators are there of steam leakage in the boiler?

Comments

• bigugh_4
    bigugh_4 Member Posts: 406
    Options
    Relax!

what you have described is normal operation. when fuel burns it does make H20 and that is what you are seeing. On very cold days the vapor condenses upon entering the cold air . IF the boiler were leaking, you'd be adding water at the leakage rate. As long as your happy with the amount you do add, AND ACCOUNT FOR ITS LOSS, THE BOILER IS FINE.
    It is well you watch the boiler as you do. nothing is safer than a Good man who has a feeling of exacxtly how his boiler is doing. Take care and Relax!
  • Jeff_53
    Jeff_53 Member Posts: 39
    Options
    Thanks,

My wife says the same thing.
  • thfurnitureguy_4
    thfurnitureguy_4 Member Posts: 398
    Options

Jeff, If you gotta know you can flood your boiler past the site glass and see if any water runs to the floor. You are adding fresh O2 to the system and this is what would cause a leak at the water line.
This discussion has been closed.