Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Here is a problem for you

Options
Adam_11
Adam_11 Member Posts: 23

Comments

• Adam_11
    Options
    CONVERTING STEAM RADIATORS TO HOT WATER

I was wondering what the best way to convert steam radiators to hot water .The two take offs are at the same level on the same side.On the opposite side is a 1/4 inch take off for a vent.These are dominion radiators , how are they put together.It looks like a 1 1/4 plug on the one side.Did they use a push nipple arrangement to hold the sections together?.Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
  • Joe Grosso
    Joe Grosso Member Posts: 307
    Options
    The radiators must have

push-nipples connecting the sections along the top as well as the nottom. If they are only connected at the bottom, they won't work well on hot-water.

I believe Dominion was the Great White North branch of the American Radiator Co. Are there any other names on these rads? Look around the pipe tappings on the bottom as well as the top. You're looking for things like Peerless, Corto, Rococo etc. Also post a pic of them here if you can, viewed from the front- we may be able to tell by looking.

If you're thinking of converting a complete steam system to hot water, that is often more trouble than it's worth. I've found it's much easier and more cost-effective to fix steam systems than to try to convert them. Go here for more info:

http://www.heatinghelp.com/newsletter.cfm?Id=22
  • Adam_11
    Options
    Old cast Iron Radiators

This is addition to my previous post .I have in my possesion some old cast iron steam radiators .The image of them can be found on shafter brothers site,oldcastironradiators.com.They are pre1935 with floral design and two 1 inch pipe connections on the one side.on the other side is a 1/4 inch vent connection.These are for a new system in an old house that previously was heated by a hot air furnace.My question is what is the best way to hook up the supply and return to them?.Any comments are greatly appreciated.
  • Joe Grosso
    Options
    With \"floral design\"

they are certainly "column" or possibly "flue" radiators. Many of these could only be used with steam as mentioned above. If you post pics of the ones you have, we should be able to help you out.
  • Adam_11
    Options

CAPACITY OF OLD CAST IRON RADIATOR - IN SQUARE FEET OF RADIATION PER SECTION
    (VICTORIAN FLORAL - FREE STANDING - LEG TYPE)
    HEIGHT 2 COLUMN 3 COLUMN 4 COLUMN
    20" 2 SQ. FT. 3 SQ. FT. 4 SQ. FT.
    22" 21/3 SQ. FT. 3 SQ. FT. 4 SQ. FT.
    23" 21/3 SQ. FT. 3 SQ. FT 4 2/3 SQ. FT.
    26" 2 2/3 SQ. FT. 3 3/4 SQ. FT. 5 1/3 SQ. FT.
    32" 3 1/3 SQ. FT. 4 1/2 SQ. FT. 6 2/3 SQ. FT.
    38" 4 SQ. FT. 6 SQ. FT. 8 SQ. FT.
    DEPTH APPROX 7 1/2" or 5" 9" 11" or 9"
    WIDTH APPROX 2 1/2" or 3 1/2" 2 1/2" 21/2" or 4"

Home Page | Our History | Radiators | Other Products | Radiator Request Form | Contact us
  • Adam_11
    Options

• Adam_11
    Options
    Old cast iron radiators

The picture of the radiators in question can be found on at oldcastironradiators.com ,under Victorian radiators pre 1935.They are two column radiators with two outlets on the one side a vent on the other.Sorry I am not computer savy enough to post the picture.How could these be hooked up for a hot water application.Keep in mind this is a new installation so no old steam piping will be reused.
  • Joe Grosso
    Options
    If there are two outlets on one side

they should be OK for hot water. You can hook them up using those same two outlets if you wish. Make sure the hot-water supply goes into the top connection!

On the side opposite the pipe connections, right above the large plug at the top, there should be a little "boss" (raised area) for a vent tapping. Drill and tap this to 1/8" pipe thread for your vent. The actual hole will be bigger than 1/8", as the 1/8" refers to the inside diameter of the pipe or vent that goes in that hole. Plug the opening further down the side of the radiator if it's still open.
This discussion has been closed.