Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Moving Hot Water Boiler Supply and Return

I have Bryant hot water boiler that was put in service some time in the 90's. As you can see from the second picture, the supply and return coming out of the boiler are quite a bit smaller then the supply and return lines of the original system. The reason I bring this up is because I am converting the old drive under garage to a family room, as you can see from the third picture, there are supply and return pipes that go right through the new doorway I created to the space. I would like to move these pipes up into the joist space. I can break all the fittings and reuse the pipe, just tucked up about 8 inchs, or since the supply and return of the boiler are not as large as the original, can I go with all new pipe that is sized to the boiler suppy and return. Also, as far as the runs from the mains to the radiator supply pipes, can I use something easier to plumb in, like PAP or would the temperatures be to high for PAP. Any suggestions on this project would be appreciated. Also, if anyone can refer someone in The St. Louis Missouri area that could install a radiant loop on this system to heat the floor, I would be thankful. Thanks again

Comments

• Al Letellier_9
    Al Letellier_9 Member Posts: 929
    pipe sizing

hard to tell from a few pics, but it doesn't look all that bad. Remember that the pipe size goes to the amount of flow and BTU's needed for the system demand and not the taping size on the boiler or the system piping. Depending on the load, they could even be too big. This is a job for a pro to evaluate. Breaking all those fittings and raising the mains would be a tough and time consuming job for even an experienced hand....consider talking to a professional heating tech before taking on this job....
  • Richard_10
    Richard_10 Member Posts: 1

Thanks for the reply. I am trying to find some one in my area to evaluate the system, in fact, hoping someone here can refer me to a good "wethead". I would prefer not to blind call some one. Thanks again.
This discussion has been closed.