Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Lap top scanner?

Weezbo
Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
i think i need one. any of you have a laptop that you can just ....scan to file... ?i think it would make book keeping alot easier deal ,...altogether.

Comments

• Joe Grosso
    Joe Grosso Member Posts: 307
    Some portable printers

can also serve as sheet-feed scanners.... I'd have to search for who makes them though.....
  • Ken_8
    Ken_8 Member Posts: 1,640
    There are laptops

and there are scanners. But we've never seen them integrated into a single unit. If you can use a compact scanner, they abound, although the smaller the scanner, usually the poorer it's performance...

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Weezbo
    ok ...so what your are saying is Uh Uh *~/:)

i was kinda hoping that some outfit had made a small laptop with a lid that closed over the screen that i could scan the recipt or proposal or quote or bill or statement ...right into my lap top and off i zoom 90 to nothing to the next inspection,boiler install ,undergrounds ,rough in, trim out finish,site apprasial,parts run whatever..summer here in Alaska is like cram 6 months into the next two weeks all the time from march to october....the rest of the time its hold against the cold and hope something else dont breakdown from over work in the freezing cold :)
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,272
    OK

How about putting a small sine wave inverter in your vehicle? Use it to power a scanner/computer/printer...whatever. A pure sine wave inverter will put out cleaner power than the grid does: nice for electronics ;~)

Yours, Larry
  • Weezbo
    a long time ago i owned a Pugeot..it had a 3 ph alternator

i dont know if the Sprinter has three phase...buh..your saying a guy could lash up an inverter chop out some of the dash and bolt in a laser scanner ....hmmmmm.....might work...if it would work it sure would take the hassel out of collecting all kinds of paper work and section 18ing mail at the plumbing shop while waiting for parts *~/:) i will look into a combination of Your thought and Steamheads ..there has GOT to be a way to thin out all the blasted paper work in our lives ....small blue prints are also having a heck of a time hitchhyking with me :)i thought of making some 1 & 1/2 abs 4 tiered 4 deep organizer for them...then i hit upon a scanner idea which in and of it self was a blessing as i am so buzy all the time i am basically not Allowed to Think *~?/:)
  • jerry scharf_3
    jerry scharf_3 Member Posts: 419
    you don't need to lash it up

Weez,

these are made, ready built. You just plug it into the cigarette lighter and it has a 120V recepticle on the box. They come in all sorts of power, size and costs. Should be able to find them on-line or possibly at an auto place.

Steve, I always figured it didn't make too much difference whether it was a true sine wave unit or not for my laptop. The power brick converts it back to DC and pulls out the ripple, which then goes into the DC/DC power supply for the laptop. Figured all the harmonics would be cleaned out along the chain. Have to admit I never put a scope on the output of the DC/DC converter to see the final noise level. Now for a TV or other AC device, true sine wave is the way to go.

jerry
  • Rich W
    Rich W Member Posts: 175

I use to scan docs using OCR. They still don't work right.Too much time correcting scanned errors. After a few test runs I made a bracket for my digital camera and a clip board. Now I set the cam to macro, clip a doc to the board and BAM- it's saved. No more scaaaaaaning.When I get home I just make adress folders for the jobs and dump the docs into the PC.
  • Al_19
    Al_19 Member Posts: 170
    Try American Van....

www.americanvan.com or 800-526-4743. I just looked at their catalogue recently. The have the inverters, and pedestal or tripod mounted computer stands.
  • Bob Harper
    Bob Harper Member Posts: 1,034
    portable scanner

With a little practice, you can do a fair job with a digital camera. The trick is not to use flash up close but other lighting such as my flashlight in a well lit room.

I use my camera to record the rating plate, service records, installation layout, vent pipes, etc., etc. on all appliances I see.
    HTH!
  • Maine doug
    Maine doug Member Posts: 47
    Camera as scanner

I use camera also after the scanner failed. Just had to do an odd shaped sign for a boat. Traced the window on a 6 foot piece of paper, took a picture of the paper cutout and imported it into a drawing program. Created the text and logo and printed a full size proof to test in the window. Works.
    For documents, one needs to be steady. It works well at seminars too. Photograph the whiteboards for notes.
This discussion has been closed.