Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

pool heaters

Options
tug boat
tug boat Member Posts: 5
I have a customer that wants a pool heater, no boiler in the house so i can not use a heat exchanger. Could i use a high efficiency boiler like a munchkin outside the house on a pad by the filters and run the pools water thrue it? do i still need a heat exchanger, if i dont will the chlorine in the water effect the boiler at all. Any recomendations would be great

Comments

• Michal
    Michal Member Posts: 213
    Options
    Why do a boiler???? do a outdoor pool heater

why do a boiler, look into a lochinvar or a pentair pool heater, they are made for chlorine and to be placed outside, the pentair is 84 percent efficient and the locinvar I think is 88, I have a catalog at home I can give you the name tommorrow, with many other models. I have installed 2 pentairs and people are happy
  • Mike Thomas_2
    Mike Thomas_2 Member Posts: 109
    Options
    StaRite

Look at StaRite heaters. They are the best by my book and I have installed them all.
  • Mike Thomas_2
    Mike Thomas_2 Member Posts: 109
    Options
    StaRite

Look at StaRite heaters. They are the best by my book and I have installed them all.
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Options
    If it were my pool

and I had money to heat the great outdoors, I'd look into a Munchkin. I understand there are a few that have been used for this application sucessfully.

Talk about an excellent operating temperature for condensing equipment. I'd guess it would be 10- 15% or more efficient than a copper tube mid 80%er.

Put you hand, or a thermometer, over the flue discharge on one of those outdoor pool boilers. Then try the same experiment with a condensing boiler. Enough said :)

You could couple it to a pool HX if you were nervous about pool water directly to the Munchkin HX. Although they may be the same grade of stainless :)

hot rod

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • DIYPeter
    DIYPeter Member Posts: 15
    Options
    Pool and garage

My friend and builder wants to heat the floor of his freestanding garage in the winter, and his above ground pool in the summer. We've got the pipes in the garage floor. The pool idea is very recent. Can he/we do both with one unit? Boiler or heater has to be in the garage as the house is distant.

I was thinking glycol for the garage and HX with the pool water. Any experience with this?
    Thanks Peter
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Options
    It may be a lop-sided

load, depending on the size of the shop. Pool heaters generally start at 150K and go up. A small to mediumn shop could have a load under 80 k. Run some numbers.

Still a modulating, condensing boiler could be just the ticket. It would be efficient for either load with those temperature requirements.

As for glycol in the shop.. how severe of a climate are you in? He in SW Missouri I hardly ever glycol shops or garages. In the mountains of Utah virtually everone we did got the "juice"

I suppose it comes down to how often the shop or garage will be used. Or how long it could coast without heat input.

Here is an idea, from a system I did recently.

I had a driveway with a snowmelt load around 180K. Also some small floor warming zones in a FA home. Around a 30 K load, multi zoned.

I connected a 199K Munchkin to a Weil Maclain Plus indirect. The Munchkin piped into the large tank volume, 56 gallon I believe. This gave me a nice buffer capacity for the small micro zoned radiant loads.

The smaller outer tank capacity, around 6 gallons I believe, got the glycol for the snowmelt loop. So basically the indirect tank becomes a buffer and HX for the glycol.

You could do the pool with the large stainless indirect tank side, then glycol the boiler and garage loop.

The indirect tank actually performes better this way as it now has two pumped flows compared to it's use as a DHW tank, with only one side pumped!

Like this.

hot rod

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
This discussion has been closed.