Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Infrared thermometer question

Options
Dave Heugh
Dave Heugh Member Posts: 2
Hi Ed, yes the ST60 is the one I got and also I bought the RTD temp probe for it( still cheaper than just the regular price for just the thermometer anywhere else),so if you do need to physically touch something you can.And yes there are certain things that can give you false readings,but for the most part they are VERY convenient and fast.I've compared the readings against my Fluke thermometers and they have been right on.I use my infrared more and more now because it saves me so much time. I do commercial HVAC service and this can save so much time instead of having to climb a ladder to get a temp reading,I can just point and shoot and get my reading from the ground.Hope this helps.

Dave

Comments

• Edward A. (Ed) Carery
    Edward A. (Ed) Carery Member Posts: 138
    Options
    Infrared thermometer question

I was at the NAOHSM show in Hershey PA today and saw a Testo (tm) infrared thermometer that had a range up to 900+ degrees. I need that high for certain projects. It is the only one that I found that goes that high.

Has anyone used the Testo? Any comments, accuracy, longevity, etc.??

Thanks

Ed Carey
  • Dave Heugh
    Dave Heugh Member Posts: 2
    Options
    infrared thermometers

Check www.infrared-usa.com.They carry Raytek,which I have,works great and goes to 1100 degrees. Their prices are unbeatable,I had no problems with them whatsoever.I was a little skeptical at 1st,but they are reputable and sell everything brand new w/warranty plus no tax.http://www.infrared-usa.com/default.asp?param1=overture

Dave
  • Edward A. (Ed) Carery
    Options
    Thanks Dave

Dave,

That is a great site. Thank you.

I think the Raynger ST60 will work well for my applications. I like the 1100 degree capability, instead of the Testo at less than 1000. Is the ST60 the one you have?

Ed
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Options
    They sometimes lie!

depending on what you point them at.

Anything with a shine on it will upset the reading. New copper pipe will give false readings, as will black electrical tape that is shiney.

For best accuracy a strap on thermistier or a gauge in the fluid stream is most reliable.

That being said, they are still a very handy tool to own. Fun too!

hot rod

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Edward A. (Ed) Carery
    Options
    Accurate temps

Hot rod, I agree that something in direct contact with the media will give the most accurate results, but this would be to just tell if a temp is in a general range, (such as very hot).

Dave, thanks for the info, that one is going to be my choice too.

Regards

Ed
  • Sweet_3
    Sweet_3 Member Posts: 33
    Options
    Raytek

Its a great tool, slab leaks, splits on S/R (F/A). As hr said a thermistor gives a much more accurate reading on critical temps than infrared imho.
  • Boiler Guy
    Boiler Guy Member Posts: 585
    Options
    RAYTEK ... Excellent tool

• Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    Options
    Hot Rod.Any possibility to get the link to the super fancy heat

Gun and thermal maging devise? i need to place a 3" floor drain in a thick slab that already has the wirsbo he pex in it. i thought i might run it up and use my heat gun excepts i think it isnt accurate enough as my wirsbo is on real tight spacing..
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928
    Options
    Lie They Do

My cat was dead even though he was chasing the little laser dot.

Some radiators were cooler than outside walls.

Some radiators were hotter than the boiler supply.

Dead cat and I enjoyed playing, but I had to do it the hard way to get accurate readings.

• Edward A. (Ed) Carery
    Options
    What brand

Mike,

With what brand of IR thermometer did you have the errors?

Was it a malfunction of "that instrument", or do you think it is an overall problem?

Was the dead cat supplied with the instrument, or was it an option? ; )

Thanks,

Ed Carey
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928
    Options

Ed,

I borrowed one before I bought–can't recall the brand. Lacked an emissivity adjustment so it was probably inexpensive.

Seemed quite accurate with walls, human flesh and non-shiny objects. Not so good when it came to the heating system. Best was old black iron. Worst was new copper. Radiator measurements were all over the place--even ones painted with ordinary flat paint.

Had read that cats were particularly difficult for IR thermometers as their fur has unusual emissivity characteristics.

IMHO the problem was both "that instrument" and a general problem regarding emissivity.

• grindog
    grindog Member Posts: 121
    Options
    ir thermometers

sears craftsman makes a good one and it is about 60$ goes up to 1200 degrees farenheite
  • S Ebels
    S Ebels Member Posts: 2,322
    Options
    Another thing about infrared thermometers

The beam they project is not like the built in laser pointer. It spreads out like a cone instead of remaining focused like a dot. The farther you are from an object, the bigger the area that the IR sensor is "looking" at. This can cause uneven or erroneous readings to say the least.

I have a Raytek and a Testo. They both read well except on shiny stuff. I have to say the Testo has proven a little more sensitive and will pick up variations in a radiant floor better than the Raytek. It will easily pick up 1/2 degree differences in a floor or wall.
This discussion has been closed.