Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Heating in Manhattan

Brian_33
Brian_33 Member Posts: 1
Constantin makes a fair point, and my apologies for the tone. I am not looking for off-the-cuff answers, nor necessarily cheap fixes. I also am not looking for someone to make a blind offer in a website or free advice. I gave some details so people understood the situation, and the type of solution I was looking for before responding.

My post is simply seeking a qualified recommendation or self appointment of someone with the capabilities, experience and interest to look at a project.

If you have a suggestion, feel free to e-mail me at btf_nyc@yahoo.com

Comments

• Brian_32
    Brian_32 Member Posts: 2
    New Boiler/Hot Water

I know that you have the "find a professional" link, but it yeilded a lot of names from outside Manhattan that may or may not be interested in a residential Manhattan apartment project.

I have a large Manhattan loft apartment with two internal boiler/hot water rooms (gas), back to back (it was two apartments converted into one). I want to turn one of the rooms into a closet, and combine the heater/hot water systems into one of the rooms, using some method that heats efficiency and delivers ample hot water for the usual appliances and 3 bathrooms.

The heat is baseboard and radiators. There is a 1.5 inch gas line, and an 8 inch chimney that runs horizontally about 30 feet to an outside exhaust. I received one suggestion for a Buderus setup that seemed fine but the proposal appeared severely oversized and overpriced. If anyone is interested in this project, contact me.
  • Empire_2
    Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
    Your Loft...

I have one Question: And all due respect sir, but if it is oversized And over priced,...Wouldn't it be more cost affective if you took on the job yourself? Only you can properly design this particular system. Sounds like a Red flag to many contractors. The fact that you are inquiring here is always welcome and if we can help,.. we will but sounds like you have run out of contractors to make you happy and are looking for the next unreasionable bid so you can say, "Na, aint gonna work either". I think you have a price in mind which is fine, but nobody in Manhattan has taken the job so it may raise an eyebrow or two..
    Just a thought... from reading your Post...
    Good luck.
    If I sound out of line, let me know associate contractors.
    Mike.
  • Brian_32
    Brian_32 Member Posts: 2
    To Be Clear

This is my apartment. I am not a contractor, and the only professional with whom I have discussed the proposal is happy do it.

I assumed (perhaps I am wrong), that the type of professional that spends the time to keep up with developments on a website such as this might also be more up to speed on new technologies well-suited for my application. If I am wrong, don't contact me.

I also have lived in NYC for 35 years and know well that for many tasks, thumbing through the phone book or a directory or calling businesses recommended by others often is a waste of time because many contractors are incapable or unwilling to deal with the nuances of working with apartment spaces. And, many contractors are fixated on particular brands and technology. Again, if this sounds like you, don't contact me.

But, if you are experienced in providing innovative solutions to high heat and hot water demands in small spaces, are prompt, courteous, professional and neat, feel free to contact should you wish to.
  • Al Corelli
    Al Corelli Member Posts: 454

Innovative solutions cost money.

I won't be calling you.
  • Constantin
    Constantin Member Posts: 3,796
    Oh dear...

Brian, I doubt that you will find another chatroom with the caliber of contractors and interested civilians alike that like/install water and steam based heat. IMHO, your two posts above come across as arrogant. You may not have intended it that way, but I doubt that you would like to be addressed the way you have addressed the group here. It's all in the approach, catching flies with vinegar vs. sugar and all that.

Since you seem to know that the proposed systems are oversized and overpriced, perhaps now is the time to ask yourself: Just what is my heatloss? You cannot infer "oversized" without knowing the capabilities of your thermal envelope. If you have already calculated the above, please post the heat loss and the the proposed solutions (without prices, please) and I'm sure a more productive debate will ensue.

Otherwise, start with "Free Heat Loss Calcs" in the menu and come back when you know more about your space, it's heating requirements, and the proper attitude when addressing heating professionals that are not your indentured servants.
  • Al Corelli
    Al Corelli Member Posts: 454

Bless you Constantin.

:)
  • Empire_2
    Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
    Second chance?

I had spoken before I gave your thoughts any consideration. I would like to appology for the harsh reply....... Just a bad day for me, if that is any excuse. I just thought that you were looking for easy answers to a complex question. Again I appologize. I am a professional, but did not act like one with my reply.
  • bob young
    bob young Member Posts: 2,177

there are well over a thousand lic. master plumbers in nyc more than capable of designing and installing any heating job that ever was. . that you can't locate one for a two bit job as yours means you don't know about the yellow pages.
  • Jim Burke comfort zone
    Jim Burke comfort zone Member Posts: 79
    work in manhattan

I would be more than happy to look at this project for you as a real pro.Please contact me or leave a number for me to reach you by phone .
  • DaveGateway
    DaveGateway Member Posts: 568
    1,000 Plumbers

There may be a thousand active plumbing licenses in NYC, but I can count the number of good heating guys on my fingers.
    -Dave C., NYCLMP #1468
  • DaveGateway
    DaveGateway Member Posts: 568
    1000 Plumbers

There may be 1000 active plumbing licenses in NYC, But you can hold a meeting of all the decent residential heating guys in an elevator.
    -Dave C. NYCLMP 1468

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    seems difficult to see how you can determine the cost out of

clear blue sky..with one estimate...maybe it is maybe it isnt...a second opinion might be in order...i spent just under 4000$ the other day just for some pipe and fittings to Throw in the ditch..sticker shocked my buddy a shade..and let me say he is professional....
  • oil-2-4-6-gas
    oil-2-4-6-gas Member Posts: 641
    $4000 ---

I just spent over $4,000 on my own heating system --small house --i might ad --this was at cost trade pricing --no labor cost -- prices have gone way up for everything in the past few years --if you want efficiency,innovative solutions,comfort and a professional install of a heating system worthy of taking pictures of --well it doesn't come cheap --
  • Sweet_3
    Sweet_3 Member Posts: 33
    This is what we're up against

as professionals trying to do the right thing, with both the health of our businness and the wellbeing of our customers in mind. It's frustrating at the least, down right insulting at the worst. Educating the customer seems to be the answer, however with all the do it yourself web sites and big box stores out there it seems a bit futile. Knowledge, experience, ethics and honesty are commodities that seem to be vanishing in this modern era. Long live the Craftsman!!
  • Boiler Guy
    Boiler Guy Member Posts: 585
    Can I help?

This discussion has been closed.