Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Heat Loss calculator

Options
No good, thanks though.

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    Heat loss calculation programs

Hey all,

Well, I'm about to start re-building my custom heat loss calculator, to replace the one we've been using for awhile, upgrade it, make it slicker, etc.

however, if something is out there that can do everyting I want it to do, I might just save myself the time and headache.

This is what I need from a heat load calculator;

-need to be able to define windows, doors, walls, ceilings on a room-by-room basis, including different construction types for each element, even in the same room (think basement wall, partially framed or partially buried, for example)

-need to be able to define radiant panel location (floor, wall, ceiling) so it can calculate back losses seperately from the internal room load.

-need to get info on load per degree day and provide for quick estimates of yearly fuel usage based on average (input or even better auto figured by location input) degree day numbers

-Easily clonable loads, so I can compare different options quickly and easily

-Must account for things like stud losses, rim joists, etc, seperately.

-Must allow me to define ACH manually, per room, and not just some pulldown saying "tight construction" or "semi tight construction". Maybe it calculates infiltration via a better method than ACH, that's fine, but I need to see what it's doing.

I'm sure there's more, but that's enough for now. Anyone out there know of any really good, flexible load calculator programs out there like this?
  • bigugh_4
    bigugh_4 Member Posts: 406
    Options
    On the left, here on the wall, clicl on heat loss calculator

and save!
  • Paul Rohrs_4
    Paul Rohrs_4 Member Posts: 466
    Options
    Hey Rob....

I can't help you on a recommendation, but I want to say you have one of THE BEST websites in the industry. Can I ask what kind of business it generates for you? (as a %)

Our website is under (Major) construction and I am looking for input for what works and what doesn't.

Regards,

PR

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928
    Options
    Do All That...

...and it would [seem] to be a MAJOR advance over what is currently available.

Do watch out however for "creeping elegance". IMHO, some of those things like individual accounting for stud losses, rim joists, etc., should first be assumed (not required) but WITHOUT individual accounting. Only when you enter ACTUAL space occupied by studs, rim joists, etc., should they be individually listed for their loss.

ACH per room in residential construction might not have a lot of meaning. I can understand factoring in room-dependent mechanical ventilation (say big range exhaust hoods) but to me, that's hard to relate to comfort in the space and it becomes VERY easy to over-estimate heating requirements.

Great thread. More musings to follow.
  • Unknown
    Options

well, I am a bit of a control freak that way, but we also get a large number of homes with very different requirements from standard stick built homes. ICFs, SIPs, log homes, geodesic domes... you name it really. I need to be able to slice and dice the numbers to a crazy level of detail or at least see all the components so I can "fudge" manually.

We use per room ACH all the time; I don't expect a basement to leak like the cathedral window walled greatroom, nor the garage. Master bedroom has a fireplace? More localized leakage there too. Stuff like that. Perhaps using a "crack" method of infiltration estimation would be better overall, I'll have to do some digging to see how that is properly figured I guess.

I do have to watch out for "feature creep" though. It's a constant problem with me :D If you only knew the list of things I want to do, I'd probably need a team of fifty on constant retainer to keep up with the ideas...
  • Unknown
    Options

big email on that for you buddy ;) you triggered the Verbosity Cannon!!
This discussion has been closed.