Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Which valve for bypass

John Mills_5
John Mills_5 Member Posts: 950
a new boiler for a house with small radiators, not the monsters left over from gravity. I assume I should run a bypass between supply and return to keep the return a bit warmer? What type of valve is used for such a purpose? Thanks.


  • John

    Th preferred valves would be globe valves but if they are not obtainable full-port ball valves work as well. Hope this helps.

    Glenn Stanton

    Manager of Training

    Burnham Hydronics

  • J.C.A._3
    J.C.A._3 Member Posts: 2,981
    I'll go with Glenn ......

    To a point. I like globe valves also but when using ball valves to curtail flow, noise is almost always a problem.(they're loud with lots of flow)

    If your going to be using the existing large piping, they will be a bit quieter but if you are downsizing the pipe to match the radiators, I'd go with globe valves. My own system is having some noise from the ball valve installed for a bypass. (I didn't do it, I'm just buying the place and get what I'm dealt!)Chris
  • John Mills_5
    John Mills_5 Member Posts: 950
    Thanks guys

    Existing piping is 1" iron pipe so small for a boiler! Place isn't that big, only 4 radiators in it.
  • Joe Mattiello
    Joe Mattiello Member Posts: 703
    Taco 560series is a 3 way globe type valve

    For your reference I have attached the catalog data.
    Taco, Inc.
    Joe Mattiello
    Technical Service Technician
    [email protected]
    401-942-8000 X 484
    Joe Mattiello
    N. E. Regional Manger, Commercial Products
    Taco Comfort Solutions
This discussion has been closed.