Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

horse-drawn sleigh

Options
winnston
winnston Member Posts: 2
This is NOT a joke! I have a customer who feels that he can increase his horse-drawn profits if he can figure out a way to heat the feet of his wind blown passengers during the coldest times of the day. The sleigh is being custom built by a metal fabricator, so there is lots of flexibility in what can be done. We need to overcome the issues of power supply for any fans (if used), FHA or FHW?, what fuel source? We also need to minimize the scale and the cost. Waddaya think? Any takers????

Comments

• oil-2-4-6-gas
    oil-2-4-6-gas Member Posts: 641
    Options
    send me some dimensional details

e-mail me some dimensions and possibly a picture of the sleigh--i have a great idea for a miniature heating system----what kind of time-line do you have?
  • Tony Conner_2
    Tony Conner_2 Member Posts: 443
    Options
    They...

...used to use heated stones, wrapped in old blankets or covered in straw for that, in the old days.
  • John Felciano
    John Felciano Member Posts: 411
    Options
    The guy you need

Is DVW,Haven't seen him here in some time.(used to work for RTI)

I saw pictures of a duck blind heater he built for his father.Heated the seats and the foot area.Ran off the BBQ grill that he used for cooking breakfeast,,pretty cool design.
  • Doug Wagoner
    Doug Wagoner Member Posts: 78
    Options
    Portable heat

The best system I have seen was a small boiler fueled with charcoal. No pump required the water/glycol moved by convection with the fabricated boiler below the emitter coil under the passengers feet and a combination flue pipe recharge tube for the driver to drop bricketts down. It was on a wheeled coach instead of a sleigh. Should be able to work the same if the height is available or designed into the sleigh.
  • leo g_13
    leo g_13 Member Posts: 435
    Options
    I can't help with

the design, but I think that the fuel source should be pretty obvious!

:o~

Leo G

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • eleft_4
    eleft_4 Member Posts: 509
    Options
    Fuel

• ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    Options
    Funny you should ask

We just took a horse drawn sleigh ride at Nestlenook Farms in N.H.

I would say a aluminum plate under the seats and under the floor where the seats are. A little tubing connected to the heat source in the back. Not that same heat source as the vidio :) Althought methane gas ???

I would think HR could come up with a heat source.

So I say radiant as the sleigh would have to be enclosed to do a fan or air of anykind. Radiant seats and floor boards is the ticket.

Scott

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • BillW@honeywell
    BillW@honeywell Member Posts: 1,099
    Options
    Coleman Catalytic Heater?

I don't know if they make them any more, but they'd keep a canvas top camper or tent toasty. Ask somebody from the Amish areas of Pennsy or Ohio. I bet they have something that works! Get a big old St.Bernard, and have him lie on their feet! HeHeHe!
  • winnston
    winnston Member Posts: 2
    Options
    horse-drawn sleigh

please tell me more about this boiler. your idea sounds ideal. thanks for the input. :^)
  • Mad Dog
    Mad Dog Member Posts: 2,595
    Options
    aLL GOOD IDEAS...BUT HOW'S ABOUT A SYSTEM

fueled the horse manure????? Now that's green. Hey, they are turning turkey carcasses in to fule oil. Mad Dog

• Mark Eatherton1
    Mark Eatherton1 Member Posts: 2,542
    Options
    Thanks for the laugh E...

THat commercial CRACKS me up every time i see it.. "Do you smell barbeque??"

ME
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    Options
    That killed me

Leave it to a beer commercial. Talk about a reclaimed fuel sorce!!! Bet it's not good for the enviroment though..:o
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,544
    Options
    eleft

your killing me! My sides are aching from laughing so hard!
This discussion has been closed.