Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Gorton #2 Dimensions

Options
michael_15
michael_15 Member Posts: 231
How big is a Gorton #2, physically? I'm thinking of replacing my Gorton #1 with a Gorton #2 but have a fairly small space to put it in. Also, is it available with the same 3/4" threading that my Gorton #1 has?

I think my space is about 8 inches high and 4 inches across.

As an aside, do I even need to upgrade my vent? My supply main has roughly:

20' of 2" pipe

20' of 1" pipe

I spoke with Ken at Gorton, who said a Gorton #1 for every 20 feet should be fine. I ignored the 1" pipe and got a single Gorton #1; the steam reaches the vent in about 5 minutes while also going a good way up the radiator risers on the way. However, I've heard comments about it ideally taking less time than that.

Thanks,

-Michael

Comments

• michael_15
    Options
    Small space

How big is a Gorton #2, physically? I'm thinking of replacing my Gorton #1 with a Gorton #2 but have a fairly small space to put it in. Also, is it available with the same 3/4" threading that my Gorton #1 has?

I think my space is about 8 inches high and 4 inches across.

As an aside, do I even need to upgrade my vent? My supply main has roughly:

20' of 2" pipe

20' of 1" pipe

I spoke with Ken at Gorton, who said a Gorton #1 for every 20 feet should be fine. I ignored the 1" pipe and got a single Gorton #1; the steam reaches the vent in about 5 minutes while also going a good way up the radiator risers on the way. However, I've heard comments about it ideally taking less time than that.

Thanks,

-Michael
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    The Gorton #2

is 6 1/4" long. Only comes in 1/2". Why not add another #1.

• michael_15
    Options
    Why not add another #1

Thanks for the information.

I would just add another #1, but, well, I'm lazy and would have to hire someone to drill in a tapping for an additional #1 (I'm too incompetent to do this stuff myself). Seeing that I don't get much time off of work and most professionals tend to work at the same time I do, this often takes weeks for me to find time.

-Michael
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    No drilling

& tapping needed. 2 nipples, 1 tee, 1 90, & you're done.
  • michael_15
    Options
    oh.

You're right. Sigh. This is why I don't do this for a living. I guess I'll drop by somewhere after work tomorrow and get some pieces.

Thanks,
    -Michael
This discussion has been closed.