Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Fun job Photos (s milne )

Options
ScottMP
ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
as much fun out of seeing these photos as we had doing the job.

This was done for a young lady who wants to start a business selling fresh home grown vegetables ... year round.

When I first meet her I thought, O.K. what are we growing and how much of it do you smoke :). But you know what, she understands this stuff pretty well. Unfourtunalty she had some one else do the tubing under the spoil and the manifold on the wall. We would have done this differently and you can tell the difference from Chirs's work.

O.K. so this is a H.S Tarm Boiler (she bought herself) that is a oil and wood combo. It has a buffer tank with two coils for heat and one for domestic.

Once again this install is done by the Master of the ProPress Chris A.

Enjoy and ask away.

Scott

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=237&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• ScottMP
    Options
  • Uni R
    Uni R Member Posts: 663
    Options
    The buffer tank...

Nice work and it was fun as well. I'm in the wrong line of work. =) How many feet of copper do you have in there?
  • ScottMP
    Options
    Those came

with the boiler and buffer tank.

Look close, thats not our quality of work :).

There are three coils, two heat and one domestic water.

Scott

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Dan Foley
    Dan Foley Member Posts: 1,258
    Options
    Interesting

What a unique and interesting project! Keep us posted on the results. -DF

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • ScottMP
    Options
    Dan

The tubing off the green manifild was not installed by us, but runs under the beds for root growth. If you notice behind the boiler there are two loops for the office heat.

I cautioned the young woman about loop lenght and she was well aware and had the correct lenghts installed before we came along.

Scott

• Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    Options
    That sure looky Good :)

the entire deal looks cool :)
    It would be something if they had also let you do the root warming and office and libin space *~/:)
    Then you could have explained the benifits of three completely different temperate zones and her green house would have tropical, semi tropic and what she now has :)
    for me this has always been one of my favorite things....i'd like to see waste water heat from power plants used to install green houses for plant production and given a small plot to grow some fresh veggies and herb...the nearby residents could cultivate their individual plots and not a bad attitude....Fish farming is another thing i really like to study and propagate same deal,use waste heat and fresh river water to grow fish for the table and fish to increase the stocks of that river..
    maybe you can get a nice little fish farm next *~/:)
    There maybe a need for them in the years to come...The first propressed fish farm :) pro press 451 :)) it really could happen :)
  • RoosterBoy
    RoosterBoy Member Posts: 459
    Options

scott they say hard work never killed anyone but why take a chance?

:-) nice work
  • EJW
    EJW Member Posts: 321
    Options
    Truck

Is that your green Mack outside the door? I'm not trying to be funny, i'm actually putting a truck together for delivering and removing boilers, h20 tanks etc. and wondered if thats what you have there. EJW
  • J.C.A._3
    J.C.A._3 Member Posts: 2,981
    Options
    Sorry EJW,

That one belongs to the farm. It's a 70's era Mack. I don't remember the model but it has a dump bed on it. The farm hand came and plugged it in about 10:00 Wednsday morning and fired it up around 11. Runs great but the body is falling off of it. Good for use around the farm.

For everyone else...This has been an incredible learning experience. I've worked on a couple wood oil combos before but this one is worlds different. The buffer tank was a trip in itself. Trying to make all those pipes look good coming out was a challenge but the manifold for the distribution panel was a nightmare.All the pipes were positioned right on top of each other and getting the tees straight was a b*^&$.

It was real nice being able to work in a tee shirt again! When the temps outside were hovering in the mid to upper 30's, the temperature inside the greenhouse was around 84°.
    The mornings, before the sun came up were definately jacket weather inside.
    Hope to get the flue piping done next week along with the oil tank. Still not sure who's gonna do the wiring yet but that will be interesting to say the least. Chris
  • Darin Cook_3
    Darin Cook_3 Member Posts: 389
    Options
    Ahhh 84' Sounds Great

As always, looks great Chris. The heat storage tank Tarm uses is a very smart idea. Burn the wood at its hottest and most efficient and then store the btu's till they are needed. I will have to check out the propress soon. I am still soldering and still enjoying it. But the propress looks very neat. I still find it hard to pony up the couple of grand for it though. We just hung our first Buderus GB 142 yesterday. I got most of it piped up today. I will finish it monday. I will have to post some pics. It is such a nice piece of equipment. Keep up the great work and tell Mr. Milne we have not forgotten about the lobsta fiasco.

Darin
  • J.C.A._3
    Options
    Darin,

Once you go Pro Press, you'll never go back.

Even Scott was surprised at the time to do all the piping. I had a different way of looking at this job.I read the manuals for both of the major pieces, and worked it in stages.

I took the boiler set-up and piping as the first stage, then worked to getting the piping to the greenhouse. When that was done, I started on the domestic piping and had to consider the buffer tank piping. Next was connecting to the stuff that was already there when we took over the job. Possibly the toughest thinking involved so far...

That was the manifold.Making it look right while having to deal with what I was dealt, proved to be a bit difficult, but it tested out and held air pressure so I went with it.

The thinking got quite blurred there. With the ProPress, I had to remember that I had to get the tool into where it needed to be next. It has taken over a year and a half, to be able to look at the "next step", and be able to fit the tool.One thing I will attest to is the ability to know where it won't fit, and learn to press them before fitting the pipes .

You know what your next move will be and the space you'll have to do it in, just learn to think a couple joints ahead and you will be fine. The cost will be covered in TIME in just a few well planned jobs. Trust me....I'm pre Med.... Chris
  • chuck shaw
    chuck shaw Member Posts: 584
    Options
    Looks Like a blast

but i can't imagin how do do the heat loss on all glass. The numbers are obviously stagering. Also, I noticed on one photo, what looked like an unused fresh air intake. In that "ugly" enviorment, where are you getting quality make up air? Just a thought, but JCA you do beatiful work. Keep up the standards!!!! And teach the children well.

Reb
  • Dave Bush
    Dave Bush Member Posts: 155
    Options

Looks like an "R" Model mack.;)

'78 or so.....
  • Dave Bush
    Dave Bush Member Posts: 155
    Options
    Nice job on the system,

too!
  • J.C.A._3
    Options
    Rebel,Not glass but double sided plastic.

I have no idea what the heat calcs. were on the beds. We took over this job after the fact. I have to assume they were already done as the owner hasn't had any questions thus far. All the bed tubing was laid when I started. The tubing for the office was also there and I just had to go with it.

The makeup air is coming from the break between the greenhouse and the office. I don't have any good photos of it but there is a gap between the two with enough air to do what needs to be drawn in, and not be in any way a problem as to freezing pipes. The pipes are all being run high to avoid it.
    The feed and return pipes to the manofold are run within the "barrier wrap" and are /will be running above conditioned spaces within the greenhouse.

This has been fun. Chris
  • J.C.A._3
    Options
    Thanks Dave

Too. Chris
  • Lloyd Nichols
    Lloyd Nichols Member Posts: 20
    Options
    Thanks Scott and Chris

for helping this customer get a professional installation. I'm glad you took the job and that you have had so much fun on it.
    If you have any questions as you move forward towards completion please feel free to call. We love to be asked for help.

Enjoy.

Lloyd
  • J.C.A._3
    Options
    LLOYD,

Do you work for Tarm? Chris
  • Wayco Wayne_2
    Wayco Wayne_2 Member Posts: 2,479
    Options
    Looks great Chris.

I love doing something different. The tank reminds me of a solar job I worked on that had a similar tank. I believe it was 500 gallons. There were a lot of solar panels on the roof and that tank got quite warm as a result. I know what you mean about planning ahead with the Propress. I've had mine about a year and don't get caught too often with a fitting I can't reach. :P I was on the fence about buying it and called Dan Foley to talk about it. He toppled me off the fence and I bought it same day and haven't looked back. It's hard keeping all of the fittings available and organised, but that's the only down side I can think of. Just priced the cimberio ball valves, ready made for PP. Kinda pricey for this tightwad contractor. Mayby I'll loosen up down the road. "squeak" Keep us posted on this project. Looks very cool. WW

• Lloyd Nichols
    Lloyd Nichols Member Posts: 20
    Options
    Yes

I do. I try to respect the rules of this site so I'm careful about saying too much. You can reach me at 1-800-782-9927 oe email me anytime.
  • J.C.A._3
    Options
    Thanks Lloyd.

The questions will be coming. I have been into the install thus far, and I suspect i will have to follow it through to frutiton (literally). Thanks for your willingness to help. Chris
  • 1solarguy
    1solarguy Member Posts: 18
    Options
    wow

this is a great thread. Fascinating system,awesome install. I hope you keep us posted as you go.Thanks for the pix. I'll be waiting
  • Some guys get all the fun

I'm thinking this was off the beaten path . How did you come to this job Scott ? Repeat customer ? And what happened to the company that started the piping install ?

Are you guys invited back when she gets the veggies up and growing ? Nice job Chris , and a great change of pace , huh ?
  • J.C.A._3
    Options
    Ron Jr.,

As always, I call this a "Learning Experience".

This is being "thrown to the wolves" at its finest, but being able to approach it as a set of systems combining into one big job, it all made/makes sense.

I would like to be able to work like this all the time, but some jobs are a bit more emergency than others. I've been wanting to delve into the alternate energy hydronic heating for a while, but this just kind of immersed me in it and it wasn't too difficult to understand after the reading of the instructions supplied.

Call me lucky, but I think Milne found us a "fast track" to the future. My boss, I think I'll keep him..... Chris
  • ScottMP
    Options
    Right back atcha Chris

Ron, this young ladys Dad was a long time customer and when she decided to do this her Dad told we were the guys. As it turned out we were running *&^%'s to the wal at the time and she wound up getting an installer who did the tubing and the manifold set-up.

He could'nt handle the system set up along with the Boiler.

I think Chris and I are a great team. I get the chance to promote and talk to customers about systems that I am pasionate about and Chris gets to install systems that he is pasionate about. If we each tried to do both we'd get nothing done and burn out quick. Symmetry in motion.

It works wonder's when I don't have customers breathing down my neck and when I can leave Chris alone to do his magic. This was one of those jobs. I am trying to get more jobs to run this way.

Carry On.

Scott

• Ted_9
    Ted_9 Member Posts: 1,718
    Options

Awesome job guys. And that Taco radiant manifold looks like it was tough to do.

This project looks like it was in the Lincoln/ Concord area. Where was it?

PATRIOT HEATING & COOLING, INC.

• J.C.A._3
    Options
    Ted,

A bit more north, but the same kind of neighborhood. Hamilton Ma. It is a HUGE horse farm, backing up to just about all conservation land and farming fields. I bet you could walk all day and not cover all the grounds! Chris
This discussion has been closed.