Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Need to identify a part

We have a two pipe steam boiler system(boiler installed 1992). Prior owners removed regular baffle radiators in two rooms and installed baseboard runs(approx 8' long). One run has a piece(see attachment-looks like a large screw) that appears to be some sort of shut off/heat regulator, but it doesn't seem to affect the run when turned either way, it just spins and spins. It is not a bleeder as the other end of the run has that. This part leaks very badly and we are trying to remodel this room with laminate flooring. We took this picture to a local heating supply store and they were baffled, excuse the cliche. We want to replace this part to continue the remodel, but don't know what to replace it with. Please HELP! THANK YOU!


  • jeff_51
    jeff_51 Member Posts: 545
    thats a balancing valve

    I'm surprised your supply house didn't know what it was. They are very common. It is just a butterfly valve used to balance the flow on the system. When the slot is parallel with the run it is full open, when it is horizontal to the run it is full off, but is not a shutoff. You can easily replace it with a like unit or a ballvalve. Any true heating supply house will have one, not the local home center.
  • Boiler Guy
    Boiler Guy Member Posts: 585
    You might

    be able to reseal it with a new viton "O" ring -- if you can get it apart without damaging the hex collar.
This discussion has been closed.