Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

expansion tanks

Options
John H
John H Member Posts: 14
I was told by an engineer it would be better for a bladder tank to be mounted upside down so the weight of the water over a prolonged time won't damage the tank.Is there any reasoning behind this comment.I always mount mine upright

Comments

• John H
    John H Member Posts: 14
    Options
    expansion tanks

I was told by an engineer it would be better for a bladder tank to be mounted upside down so the weight of the water over a prolonged time won't damage the tank.Is there any reasoning behind this comment.I always mount mine upright
  • jim lockard
    jim lockard Member Posts: 1,059
    Options
    HUH

Thousands of them out there hanging down. Water does not care how it expands only that it can. The scary thing is an old compression tank that becomes water logged wth 30 or 40 gallons of water weight and the old metal tape straps give way. I try to check and restrap the ones I run across. Best Wishes J.Lockard
  • Michal
    Michal Member Posts: 213
    Options
    follow directions

not to be a wise **** and a young engineer myself, do not follow the engineers recommendations, follow the manufacturers recommendations, they know how their products perform in all conditions, thats why they have the asme, ul and other stamps, cause they were tested. if you are unsure, call the manufacturer. And the old compression tanks, as mentioned chack the straps, and even add more, they do get heavy and they are dangerous if they come down
  • Joe Mattiello
    Joe Mattiello Member Posts: 707
    Options

Taco’s CA type tank is a full acceptance tank, and less likely to rapture prematurely because of additional stress from a water logged bag. This tank can be installed on its side, but never upside down. If you require a bottom connection, Taco offers a CW tank that technically is installed upside down however; there is an internal support for the bag allowing us to offer you this product. For your reference I have attached a submittal data sheet for the CW tank.

Taco, Inc.
    Joe Mattiello
    Technical Service Technician
    joemat@taco-hvac.com
    401-942-8000 X 484
    www.taco-hvac.com
    Joe Mattiello
    N. E. Regional Manger, Commercial Products
    Taco Comfort Solutions
This discussion has been closed.