Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

1 pipe radiator

Options
DaveF_2
DaveF_2 Member Posts: 1
I've got a 200+ year old house that was at one point updated to 1 pipe steam with a gas boiler(it was converted from oil years ago). I haven't seen mention in Dan's steam heat book(a great resource, as is this site) about the radiators that I have in my house- they are just the steam pipe with fins on them, and then a decorative cover hanging onto them. I assume that these will work the same way (and have the same types of problems) as the standard cast radiators. I've been replacing vents, but need to replace 2 main vents in the basement as well as they seem to be clogged. I am still getting spitting and water out of the NEW vents I just replaced. I also have noise- sounds like a tea pot boiling up, from only one of the radiators. I think I might have a dirty system? Is the best time to clean it(or have it cleaned) when the heating season is over or can it be done now? I think my pitch is ok too- Is it time for a pro?

Comments

• TJ_2
    TJ_2 Member Posts: 26
    Options
    Steam baseboard

It sounds like you have steam baseboard radiators.

1. Check the length - Noel from Slantfin once said that up to eight feet should be OK.

2. Check the pitch. The baseboard should tilt in the direction of the steam riser at the rate of 2" per 10 ft (that comes from Dan's book on the subject of counterflow steam mains).

Steam baseboards condense a lot of steam and there isn't much space in the pipe for both steam and water, so the tilt is important. The water needs to drain out fast.
This discussion has been closed.