Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Instalattion of expansion tank

Options
c.w.
c.w. Member Posts: 1
Can you put a diaphragm style expansion tank on a hot water
boiler return, rather than the feed?

Comments

• Alan R. Mercurio_3
    Alan R. Mercurio_3 Member Posts: 1,620
    Options
    According to Amtrol

This is from their web site.

Q. Where should the Extrol tank be installed on the system?

A. The Extrol tank should be installed on the suction side of the circulator.

You can find a lot more great info on their web site.

Amtrol

Your friend in the industry,
    Alan R. Mecurio

www.oiltechtalk.com

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Uni R
    Uni R Member Posts: 663
    Options
    You can put it anywhere on the primary circuit...

However... it usually is attached to your air elimination device, and that device should normally be about 18" before the circulator. So if your circulator is on the return, then the air elimination and tank would be so as well (before the circulator).
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    Options
    i'd say it has a depends connotation....

Depends on how you have the boilers piped and the way you have the Fields or system piped. basically what you are after is to keep the boiler water in the boilers and the field water or systems in the field and with the idea that your not overly adding to the inefficientcy of their operation.
    the easiest idea for sake of a mathamatical journey ,is to install the tank off a tapping on a spirovent ,on the supply(Hot)and introduce any feed /make up fluid at that point with in the line to the expansion tank from the microresorber. if you have a recirc pump some where on the system place it on the pipe within about as few fittings and pipe beyond the tank ....pushing ,as it would seem, water all the way around the system.
    heres the minor technicality though,are there any other pumps and boilers on the system ?well now lets say it would be better to buy a book as to where should the expansion tank (s) be installed. there are people who have made thier life much more simple by comming to this site,The man who put it "together" has a book store here and wrote a book that is very easy read and is available for a fraction of the dollar one could save in time and aggravation it helps support the site.within its pages are many enlightening aspects on this topic and others,with that said i suggest you consider reading it and giving it to a friend it is called "Pumping Away".
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Options
    On the current low mass and condensing boilers

they prefer you pump INTO the boiler (hx). This allows the HX to see the pressure increase the pump provides. So the expansion tank should tee into the system just before the circ.

No reason the air purger can't be on the supply outlet side of the boiler, and in fact will work better at the higher temperature location.

No reason to have the purger and expansion tank connection at the exact same location, either. Certainly not because they provide a convient tap below the purger :)

BUT you do want the fill at the PONPC, which is where YOU install the expansion tank connection, which is not necessarily the air purger.

Confused?

hot rod

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    Options
    :)

• Uni R
    Uni R Member Posts: 663
    Options
    You confused me...

I wouldn't think that it would matter where the expansion tank goes (although immediately after the boiler wouldn't be ideal) since the water will equalize. I thought the key to good air elimination is to pump away from the air elimination device with that also being the best place for the fill since that is the source of any new air.

Thanks... add confusion to the equation. I'm already at wit's end watching my tiling guy. He insists the porcelin tiles aren't unidirectional and I don't want to undermine him or his progress. This stuff kills a DIYer. I paid for the install to get a better install, and now I'm worried about his workmanship. Sorry for venting.
This discussion has been closed.