Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

combicor water heaters with faulty heat exchangers

Options
has anyone had any problems with the bradford white "combicor" water heaters and faulty heat exchangers?
we've seen approx. 8 cases over the last several months and are seeking outside help -------- please email me if you have and if you know of any product recall or technical bulletins

thanks- howard

Comments

• hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Options
    Been there!

pretty high failure rate with the ones I have installed. I don't think any made the 10 year mark!

My theory, after cutting the top off two failed tanks... Seems that outer plastic coating peels or delams from the aluminum coiled hx.

I'm not sure the exact cause, some suggest shaking during shipping, aggressive water conditions, high temperatures, whatever.

Once that plastic coating comes off, seems the aluminum tube gets pinholed. This as you may know shows up as an overpressure on the heating side and a pop off of the 30lb relief.

I have also seen leakers on the nipple that connects to the hx on top. Seem dielectric corrosion may be at work between the aluminum HX tube and the galv nipple.

I felt their HX output figures were a bit overrated even when you pump the heck out of them.

I love the concept, an excellent dual purpose appliance for space sensitive installations. Too bad they didn't select a better HX material.

I do still have a handful of the PowerCor indirect tanks in service, for whatever reason the HX coils lasted in those.

Here is an example of the coating that peeled off and the corroded nipple connection.

Sure would like to hear from BW on this. I've called the tech line several times without any answers. they have been good about warranty. I generally get two seperate tanks for the replacement, one high recovery for the radiant and a standard for the DHW.

hot rod

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Rick Kelly_3
    Rick Kelly_3 Member Posts: 47
    Options
    Combi-cor

I've installed a half dozen of these units but none in the last two years. Why? Every single one failed. One lasted only six weeks. I can't be having that. It ends up making me look bad, not Bradford-White. Now I only replace Combi-Cors that others have installed. Just did another the other night. That one was only four years old. Bradford-White makes some good products, but the Combi-Cor isn't one of them.
  • Alan(CaliforniaRadiant)Forbes
    Options
    Been There II

Every CombiCor and PowerCor that we installed has failed; always the heat exchanger (HX).

I just serviced another one (not ours) in SF this morning. The HX failed, high pressure domestic went to low pressure hydronic and popped the relief valve. And believe it or not, someone capped the relief valve.

The Taco 009 was pumping domestic and the rust buildup got so intense that it finally plugged the inlet, outlet and impeller. The volute was one big rust plug.

And they still sell these things.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • bill clinton_3
    bill clinton_3 Member Posts: 111
    Options
    Comi-cor sucks

Installed over twenty. All failed, mostly within five years. Same scenario as HR and Alan. Their local rep claims not to know of the problem.

Say, Alan: where was that SF replacement: One of mine? No, I didn't plug the PRV vent, but can't get too mad at whoever did--the heating system is now continuous with the dhw tank, so the PT should protect it.

Just checked out a seven-year old install yesterday (architect's spec, not my recommendation). This has to be a record for lasting. Yup, now has failed heat exchanger. And they still sell them. Should be arrested.

Bill
  • It didn't look like

your work; no fill valve (manual fill with a hose); all Taco products.

The building is a 3-unit condo or perhaps it's a tenants-in-common; on Fell St., near Stanyan. Sound familiar?
  • Joe Brix
    Joe Brix Member Posts: 626
    Options
    Alternatives?

AO Smith makes the ProMax SL, which has an internal HX. But if all combo water heaters suffer a short life what's the alternative? Triangle Tube's combo units? I think for the same price of a TT, I could get a munchkin and indirect for the same money.
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Options
    Doesn't AO Smith

offer the external flat plate HX tanks also? Thought I saw these at the ISH Boston show.

Danfoss, Flat Plate and others have add on HX packages for water heaters.

At some $$ point, however, it may make more sense to step up in efficiency to a condensor and indirect.

Adding internal, or external HXs to a standard tank style water heater doesn't do much for their efficiency. Or life expectancy :)

hot rod

This discussion has been closed.