Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Can this be repaired?

Options
JoeV
JoeV Member Posts: 62
The asbestos has been removed from my boiler and pipes. I thought the boiler had cracked since it wouldn't hold water anymore. Now that I can see it, it looks like a gasket had blown out from between the sections. Can this be repaired with a new gasket? What kind of material would I use and where can I purchase it? The boiler is an American Standard "Oakmont".

Comments

• ed wallace
    ed wallace Member Posts: 1,613
    Options
    leak

yes it can be fixed but why would you do that the thing is an antique spend the money on replacing it
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    Options
    it is a chore sir.

best suited for skilled individuals. and depending upon the placement of the boiler and location,it may take more time than to simply remove and replace with a slightly more modern piece of iron.
  • Robert O'Connor_7
    Robert O'Connor_7 Member Posts: 688
    Options
    joe

Replace it...Robert O'Connor/NJ
  • JoeV
    Options

Sounds unanimous. Thanks!
  • oil-2-4-6-gas
    oil-2-4-6-gas Member Posts: 641
    Options

would you happen to have the combustion chamber baffle --i have an oakmont mod #85 or 86 --i need a baffle for someone i know --the boiler is off to the scrapper this spring
  • JoeV
    Options

Send a photo of what you are talking about and I'll look into it. The boiler is still fully piped in and I was planning on scrapping it in the spring also.
This discussion has been closed.