Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Piping baseboard and toe kick heaters on same loop ?

Options
Angelo
Angelo Member Posts: 1
I would like to know if i should use monoflow tees on the supplies or returns on the toe kicks? the toe kicks are going to be the first branches on the loop actually two toe kicks and 32 feet of baseboard on a stone floor i know the pressure drop is substantial in the toe kicks just concerned on the restriction out of the monoflows out to the baseboard? thanks

Comments

• Floyd_7
    Floyd_7 Member Posts: 136
    Options
    For me....

it's a monoflo on the supply and a valve between the tee's so that I can blow the air outta the toekick and then open the valve for flow.....

Floyd
  • Steve_35
    Steve_35 Member Posts: 546
    Options

If the toekick is above the loop then the monoflo goes in the return. If the toekick is below the loop you put a monoflo on both sides. You want to space tehm at least 20" apart.

You really should look at the total flow required by this loop, the total length of the loop (remember to add 12' for each monoflo) and then check the pump curve.
  • jesse the great
    jesse the great Member Posts: 72
    Options
    pitman

im curoius where you get 20" because i didnt know that
  • Steve_35
    Steve_35 Member Posts: 546
    Options

This was brought up several years ago in a system design class I attended. Dan Holohan also mentions this in his book "How Come". In it Dan mentions a distance of 6" with B&G monoflo tees or 12" with Taco's. This is for ratiators. And if the rad is below the loop then the tees need to be at least the width of the radiator apart. There's a whole section in the book about diverter tees.

In any case we always space fan convector tees 20" or more apart. Could we get by with less spacing? Maybe, but then we know we never have a problem at 20" and it's usually not difficult to maintain that separation.
  • bob elmore
    bob elmore Member Posts: 41
    Options

attached sketch of how we do it.
  • Michal
    Michal Member Posts: 213
    Options
    20\" pipe

there is a requirement of the 20" as mentioned before, this is to ensure that the tee's give you sufficient suction and that there is not too much turbulence. i have piped these with mono flow tees on the return side as on the digram, and they have worked well
This discussion has been closed.