Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pro Press

Options
EJW
EJW Member Posts: 321
I know someone asked this but I can't find the thread. Is it possible to use Pro fittings on baseboard heat? I was at a freeze up last night and could have but I didn't dare til I found out. Thanks, EJW

Comments

• Mark Eatherton1
    Mark Eatherton1 Member Posts: 2,542
    Options
    Not recommended...

The tubing is SUBSTANTIALLY lighter. I asked and they said no go.

It IS tempting though...

ME
  • S Davis
    S Davis Member Posts: 491
    Options
    Pro-Press

I have done it a couple of times and no leaks yet, both times where slab with tile so if we did get a small leak there would not be any damage, and we ran it by the homowner and let them know it was not reccommended and let them make the decision.

S Davis

Apex Radiant Heating
  • EJW
    EJW Member Posts: 321
    Options
    Tempting

It was tempting at 11pm last night. I was at the last split in a section that the return line doubled back under the fin tube. There were 2 splits, one on the fin and one on the M copper. I had a pocket full of Pro couplings and the temptation was there. Then I thought " I saw this question on the wall, but never went back to see the replies". I was chicken and soldered them both. Thanks for the answers. EJW
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,562
    Options

Am I correct in assuming that the propress is ok on M, L, K and Not on the thin baseboard tubing??????

Ed
  • Mellow_2
    Mellow_2 Member Posts: 204
    Options
    I have used it on BB

It works great on the copper tubing of almost any thickness. No leaks and no call backs........it is all we use ....the only time we sweat is to install mixing valves or zone valves (still waiting for pp valves).........They propress leak when the copper is old and pitted inside (should be changed anyway) and if I forget to crimp a joint. (yes I have goten wet).........other than that we have used them for years with no leaks or problems......good luck and give it a try....
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,562
    Options
    Mellow,

We have one at work that everyone has used. We even added the 2 1/2-4" kit. It's great for computer rooms, hospitals anywhere they don't want a torch running. I know they have a battery operated one now--the electric model is heavy. Try doing 4" hanging off a ladder with that. Never had a leak yet.

Like everything else it has it's place.

Was just wondering about the thin tubing.
    Ed
  • Wayco Wayne_2
    Wayco Wayne_2 Member Posts: 2,479
    Options
    Mellow

PP ball valves are here. Cimberio makes them but they aint cheap. 1/2 PP ready ball valve was about 16.50 dollars, 3/4 was 20.62, 1" was 21.57. I've been buying threaded bsll vavles and putting MPT adaptors in each end. 1/2 MPT adaptors are 1.30 each so if a ball valve costs 4 dollars plus 2.60 for MPT adaptorsplus 10 minutes labor, say 3.40 you've spent 10 dollars for a 1/2 inch ball valve. I'm thinking of buying several boxes of threaded ball valves and having my helper put them together in advance in the morning hours while rush hour is still bad. Make progress instead of sitting in traffic, no? WW

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Mellow_2
    Options
    yes

we do that too. Prep the job a day ahead and you can have more time to do a quality job. We have the battery propress and it is great in tight spots but the crimp is slow on the bigger pipes...... I like to use the plug in propress when I want to crimp alot of pipe or big pipe. The other good thing about the plug in is that it will work in the cold..... The bat. style propress has to be warm to work....... I do service at night and if it is too cold it will not work. Just did another 30 feet of old bb today. Had to finsh a freeze up we started a week ago. propressed all the bb together just removing the split peaces. no leaks and I didn't have to play with fire. It is so nice.
  • Andy_14
    Andy_14 Member Posts: 121
    Options

> we ran it by the homowner and let them know

> it was not reccommended and let them make the

> decision.

>

> S Davis

You must be joking??? If you knew it was not recommended, why would you let the homeowner make the decision? You are suppose to be the pro, not them.
  • S Davis
    S Davis Member Posts: 491
    Options
    Emergency

Can you say emergency repair at 2:00 am and draining the system would have taken hours for the repair, I am also not opposed to trying to save my customers money, as long as they are aware of the pros and cons customers are capable of making their own decisions on their own homes. you must be one of the guy's that think homeowners are to stupid to think for themselves!!

S Davis

Apex Radiant Heating
  • ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    Options
    I was not aware

that it is not recommended.

We have used it for about ten freeze up jobs with NO PROBLEMS. Most of these jobs where done LAST YEAR .

I'll have to call Ridgid and find out the poop.

Scott

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Saggs
    Saggs Member Posts: 174
    Options

Not to seem stupid but exactly how does this pro-press operation work? Is it some type of compression system? Is the tool needed for this pricey?
  • Mark Eatherton1
    Options
    The reason its not approved...

has more to do with the fittings ability to resist pull out than it is sealing capability. The PP fitting depends on the rigidity if the pipe to resist blow out. The tube used for BBR is so thin that it doesn't have a lot of resistance to blow out. As long as the system won't be seeing any high pressures, or the pipe is restrained on both ends to avoid tromboning, then I don't see any issues.

But then again, I'm NOT the manufacturer. Just a simple hot water plumber roaming the plains of Colorado...Looking for potatoes...

ME
  • Mark Eatherton1
    Options
    Irritated Impatient Itchy Finger Syndrome....

Sorry...

ME
  • ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    Options
    Thanks Mark

Out here we say Potatoes ....... wait ... ?

I am afraid we'll forget how to solder.

The times they are a changin !

Scott

• Mellow_2
    Options

it crimps the copper together. 2. yes sort of 3. most say yes but I have saved so much time with the propress and time is money. I have done two person jobs in the same time with just one person. cuts the time in half.....
  • Matt_21
    Matt_21 Member Posts: 140
    Options
    mellow do you

have to keep the whole tool warm or is just the batteries that are a problem in the cold? also, how do you like the swivel head. we have three of the plug ins and we love them. has anyone else noticed especially on the bigger sizes the pipe gets cockeyed when you crimp it.
  • Rely_2
    Rely_2 Member Posts: 61
    Options
    Tool temp

talked to rigid tec and he sad must be above 26 degrees it is hydrolic so the oil needs to be warm

• Mellow_2
    Options
    I have to hold it tight

to get it to crimp staight sometimes. When the tool crimps it can pull the joint and make it look bad but you can normaly bend it back. The swivel head works in spots you can't get the other tool. If you plan ahead that swivel head is not needed often but is nice to have anyway. The whole tool has to be warm for the tool to work (I know the propress gods will get me for this but I use the plug in propress in below zero temps). I kinda have to because we do not carry sweat fittings anymore. We found the propress works so well we don't want to fight with the torch.
This discussion has been closed.