Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pipe Insulation

Steve_79
Steve_79 Member Posts: 1
Bought a 3,000 sq. ft. house in northern Wisconsin last month with an older Burnham 807N hot water gas-fired boiler (275K BTU per hour Net IBR, 396K BTU Input, 317K BTU Output AGA ratings).

First month's utility bill was a shocking $680. There is about 280 feet of pipe in the basement with no insulation ranging in size from 1" to 5", with perhaps 6 or 7 different sizes in between.

Given that I didn't have much money left after paying the bill (and insulating the attic, which was contributing to the large utility bill), I had the idea of wrapping the pipe in layers of Sill Seam fiberglass insulation (it's about $10 for a roll 50 feet X 5.25" X 1/4") Is this advisable? I know there are commercial products made for this application, but I need something inexpensive.

I want to cover the fiberglass with tape (hopefully without compressing it too much). What tape would best take the heat? I have heard Z-lock (don't know this product), aluminum, and even ordinary duct tape suggested. Thanks.

Comments

• Al Letellier
    Al Letellier Member Posts: 781
    pipe insulation

I seriously doubt that Sill Seal is rated for the temperatures that are produced in your system. From the sizes you quoted, it sounds like an old gravity water system and they get pretty hot. You'll either melt the stuff or start a fire, and that's no way to heat a house up. Anything other that at least 3/4" fiberglass will be a problem and won't be worth the effort. Please don't burn down your house...it's a lousy way to get a new heating system.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
This discussion has been closed.