Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Water temp

Options
M Ransley
M Ransley Member Posts: 45
I have baseboard HW heat. How high can I set my Aquastat. Is 200 safe, or is 190 the maximum or can I go higher than 200. I figure since water is under pressure it will not boil at 212. Pressure and level are fine. Thanks group.

Comments

• hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Options
    You can, but

why would you want to run that hot. generally bb systems are designed around 180°. Low ball bids sometimes dasign around 200 to cut down onnthe amount od bb needed.

If a heatloss calc proves the boiler is sized correctly consider adding more board of some kickspace heaters.

If in fact you need 200 or more to warm the house on extreme cold days I would add an outdoor reset control. This would change the boiler temperature based on outdoor conditions and limit the amount of high temperature run times.

I'd stay away from 200 or over 180° if you have any pex piping in the system :)

hot rod

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • M Ransley
    Options

I suspect the radiators are undersized as it goes to 180 then stops firing but circulator pump continues to run till water temp lowers and it refires.It will mot maintain even 68 when cold. Ive had this arguement with "Bubba" from alt Hvac. at, alt home repair that he says 200 is close to 212 and my boiler will start 'Jumping" from boiling. I maintain it is under pressure and wont boil even at 212. Those alt hvac hilbillys
    can be dam rude you know, an they think they know it all.
    . Member Posts: 80
    Options

> I suspect the radiators are undersized as it goes

> to 180 then stops firing but circulator pump

> continues to run till water temp lowers and it

> refires.It will mot maintain even 68 when cold.

> Ive had this arguement with "Bubba" from alt

> Hvac. at, alt home repair that he says 200 is

> close to 212 and my boiler will start 'Jumping"

> from boiling. I maintain it is under pressure and

> wont boil even at 212. Those alt hvac

> hilbillys can be dam rude you know, an they

> think they know it all.

• M Ransley
    Options

Can I run more than 200f . Say 210 ? It is under 12-15 psi, 15 psi boiling is 248f that is 36f above no pressure boiling of 212f
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    Options
    I think you need a few more emmiters

it just isnt heating and thats why most likely....i do not need to tell you this buh here i go, i have had the experience of working on boilers that were running at close to 320 degrees F...the pipe would shear your arms like a clothing iron,trust me you dont want to deal with that. turning the top limit up can produce really hot water or in most of the cases i had that particular luxury, glycol water mixes...however what will turn the thing Down to safer parameters if you do so?
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928
    Options
    A Couple Other Possibilities

Make certain that you're getting good airflow through the baseboard. Thick carpet and accumulated dirt/lint can severely reduce output. There must be air space below the fins.

You could have insufficient flow. All sort of possible causes: valve(s) not fully open; failing circulator; undersized circulator; failing zone valve(s); etc.

Measure supply and return temps of the loop with the problem during cold weather. If difference is more than a few degrees higher than 20 start looking for problems as mentioned above. Increased flow will raise the average temperature of the loop which will in turn increase output without increasing supply temp.

If temp difference is near 20 then you need more baseboard, higher supply temp or better insulation/weatherization. If temp difference is significantly lower than 20 then again check for obstructions and make sure the emitters are clean!
This discussion has been closed.