Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

licsensing in new york

Options
on the topic of licensing in new york -

or at least in nassau / suffolk....

is it not required to at least have some sort of county contractor's license (or master plumber's license) AND limited electrical license to do work /installs of heating equipment? at least i think that was true in suffolk 20 years ago. did something change?

ss

Comments

• soot_seeker_2
    soot_seeker_2 Member Posts: 228
    Options

or at least in nassau / suffolk....

is it not required to at least have some sort of county contractor's license (or master plumber's license) AND limited electrical license to do work /installs of heating equipment? at least i think that was true in suffolk 20 years ago. did something change?

ss

• Big Ed
    Big Ed Member Posts: 1,117
    Options
    Licence

New home install need A Masters, replacement a restricted plumbers but you can't pipe a coil or a water heater.. Yes a joke......You could have been working in the HAVC industry for thirty years and the Plumbers board can refuse you because you never install a waste vent ....... Should be a Masters Heating licence. Different trade......... Half the Master Plumbers know @#*$ or care about heating....
  • Darin Cook_3
    Darin Cook_3 Member Posts: 389
    Options
    All you need Upstate is to own a screwdriver

There are no certifications or licenses required in the Upstate or North country area. Certain area's may require a permit but that is it. Very scary to say the least. You only need a license to install a toilet. Not to install a condensing, modulating high eff boiler combined with a variable speed injection radiant system on outdoor reset. Then take your digital combustion analyzer and set up the burner with the proper levels of CO, O2, CO2 and temps. So that in the event something goes wrong, you do not KILL someone. I can see why it is important to be licensed to be able to pitch a waste pipe.

Darin
  • oil-2-4-6-gas
    oil-2-4-6-gas Member Posts: 641
    Options

for service nothing // in westchester county you no longer need a license to be an operator of high pressure steam and i have seen some scary individuals operating them --who just do not have a clue
  • toearly_2
    toearly_2 Member Posts: 78
    Options

Darin
    I hold a Master license for Plumbing as well as Heating and live in upstate NY. There are many communties upstate that require a license.

I think you will see a day where NY will have a State License. The state wide code that has gone into effect will make it easier for that to happen.I myself think it is long over do.

Having a plumbing license is a little bit more then pitching a pipe.

David

&gt I can see why it is important to be

> licensed to be able to pitch a waste pipe.

> Darin

• Ken_8
    Ken_8 Member Posts: 1,640
    Options
    In NYC (Manhattan)

You can replace an entire boiler system with no license and no permit.

If you are doing new construction, a license and permit are required.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • soot_seeker_2
    soot_seeker_2 Member Posts: 228
    Options
    recurring fee?

does nys or your county charge you some sort of recurring annual fee to keep any of those licenses or do you have to re-take it in 10 years or something? or is it, once received you have it til you die?

ss
  • toearly_2
    toearly_2 Member Posts: 78
    Options

The license is issued yearly and done within the one township that requires the license. There is a yearly fee.I think that fee is about 150.00. All apprentices and journeymen must be registered each year.A currrent cert of insurance is also required. Within a 50 mile circle there are a few cities that also require a license. All of these cities honor our license as we do them. An addtional fee is paid to each area you do work in.

David

> does nys or your county charge you some sort of

> recurring annual fee to keep any of those

> licenses or do you have to re-take it in 10 years

> or something? or is it, once received you have

> it til you die?

>

> ss

• Big Ed
    Big Ed Member Posts: 1,117
    Options
    Ken

Does it hold true for the other boroughs ?
  • bovide_5
    bovide_5 Member Posts: 6
    Options
    go easy

First: Ken does not know that you do indeed need a plumbing license to install a gas boiler and an oil burner licence to install an oil burner. Fact, no exceptions.

Second: why the insults directed at licensed plumbers who do "protect the health of the nation". Cross-connection contamination prevention and safe gas piping installs are only a bit of what we do. And I own and use a Bacharach (Rudy is a good guy).
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    Options
    I noticed lots of tin tacked on my relatives boiler in NY.

each piece stated some boiler maker inspector firemarshal etc etc rivited to the jacket! I figured they were obviously well protected by a host of professional people who install boilers ...They lived out on Jamacia...
  • Tony_8
    Tony_8 Member Posts: 608
    Options
    Really \"Upstate\"

Try it over my way, Allegany County, NO license for anything. Hacks are the norm and I'm accused of doing more than necessary to run up the bill. Happens just often enough to torque my nuts, then I get a letter thanking me for solving a years old problem or correcting a CO hazard and I calm down. There's about three competent PHC guys and 20+ others.
  • Tom_35
    Tom_35 Member Posts: 265
    Options
    License criteria

I was talking with a contractor one time about him getting his master license. Said there were only 2 questions---Do you have $200, and do you have it with you?

Tom
This discussion has been closed.