Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

combustion analyzer

Matt_21
Matt_21 Member Posts: 140
on a combustion analyzer. primarily for gas boilers but occasionally oil. any brands to get, stay away from. any must have options.

Comments

• Jim Miller_2
    Jim Miller_2 Member Posts: 9
    I have both testo 325 and bacharach 125

I like the bacharachs better because they have much faster response time - the testo 325 is very durable and reliable but the sample it takes is so small that any burner adjustments, etc take a longer time to register on the analyzer - for oil I would certainly choose the bacharach for its quicker response to catch spikes in reading on startups, etc - both makes have pressure testing built in, but I really do not use it, so my next unit may be the Bach 120, which I think is the same except for not having the pressure ports

- I have not tried the newer testo model that came out this year (I think)
  • Ken_8
    Ken_8 Member Posts: 1,640
    Having just spent

close to $400 bucks to have one recalibrated for the third time in two years, we think the older Fyrite "dumbell" unit is the most accurate and cheapest to maintain of them all.

We have three models from the least to most expensive Bacharach's and find them so prone to problems to be worthless.

We use them about once a month and find them totally unreliable. The cost per test comes out to about $20 bucks per.

Were it not for Rich Bruno, we would have junked all four long ago.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Bill_39
    Bill_39 Member Posts: 69
    Great

I just bought a fyrite 3 days ago. Wish I saw this post first. Haven't used it yet
  • D lux_2
    D lux_2 Member Posts: 230
    just sent mine back

fry pro web sight says two day turn around called up service center said it might be 3 or 4 weeks just in time for a/c work ? Also said they didnt know if they have received yet .
  • Ken_8
    Ken_8 Member Posts: 1,640
    Yupper...

We waited well over two weeks and had to call them to hear the same line, "Not sure we ever got it."

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Jim Miller_2
    I use mine

2-3 times per week - works well - are yours fairly new or are they the older models? I have had limited experiece with older ones that often sat on the shelf because they were "broke again"......as far as the "cost per test" - I am starting to charge a line item fee for the use of the analyzer if I make any burner adjustments with it - if I just do a quick probe and check, then I omit the fee.... I would not do service calls without it anymore - it is like working blind if I do not know what the burner is making - my Dad uses the old "dumbell" for CO2 on oil - in a comparison test my electronic unit comes quite close to the same ready for calculated CO2, but he cannot tell if there are any fluctuations in the reading due to draft thats jumping around, etc.....
  • soot_seeker_2
    soot_seeker_2 Member Posts: 228
    bacharach fyrite tech 60

i've been using the bacharach fyrite tech 60 (since 3/04) - includes a CO sensor - about once every week or two - for private use. wonderful so far - very responsive - has been a god-send. once you use one of these, you'll never go back to the dumb-bell. hard plastic shell case but i wouldn't chance dropping it on a cement floor.

ss
  • gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    used my fyrite pro

for years without trouble..only sensor replacements (to be expected)..think its a great tool..am currently scoping out a testo 330 as an upgrade tho..
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

• Rudy
    Rudy Member Posts: 482
    Get in touch

If I can just jump in here for a second...

Please, if anyone has or ever has any problems with a Bacharach instrument, service center, etc, get in touch with me. I will do my best to get any problems taken care of or at a minimum make it up to you down the road (sometimes that's easier and I'll make it work out in your favor!!).

There are thousands of these electronic analyzers out there and honestly, there just hasn't been that many problems with them. Yes, there are occasional application problems - hammering the CO sensor repeatedly, sucking in a bunch of smoke, not post purging the moisture and gases after use, etc.

And, yes, they will cost more to operate than the shaker bottles, however, the shakers don't measure Carbon monoxide (stack temp, draft, gas pressure, etc) and are simply not capable of finding the problems that translate to more work...

If you want to stick to 1932 technology, great, what ever works for you.

However, if you want to grow your business and improve your image to your customers, electronics are the way to go!!

Again, if anybody needs assistance, tech support (or just want to chew on my butt for awhile), don't hesitate to give me a call or email me:
    Office 740-594-0033
    Cell 412-576-1350
    rudy@eurekanet.com
  • Biged
    Biged Member Posts: 117
    Fyrite Pro

I use my 125 on every service call (about 4 per day average)how often should I have it serviced?
  • Robert O'Connor_6
    Robert O'Connor_6 Member Posts: 299
    Why

Does the whole probe assembly have to be replaced (Fyrite Pro 125) if the temp thermocouple is bad . Is there no way to replace just the thermocouple?

Regards

Robert

ME
  • Tony_8
    Tony_8 Member Posts: 608
    I have

A Tech 60 and NO problems that are remarkable. The little one I had was rectified faster than most companies even acknowledge correspondence.

AND... it does impress the customers :)
  • Steve Ebels_2
    Steve Ebels_2 Member Posts: 47
    I have two

Both are Testo 325's, a 2001 model and a 2003 model. I have had each serviced once. (Replaced CO & O2 sensors and recalibrated). They have been very durable and accurate and both are used almost daily.

No analyzer likes to be left out in a cold truck overnight and then put into use without a warm up period.

No analyzer likes to be used as a smoke sampler[use your smoke pump to test after start up]

No analyzer likes to be jammed in a flue containing CO in excess of 3,000ppm or better. It freaks out the sensors.

If you get one, get a printer along with it. Documenting what you've done and the way you left the equipment may save your hide some day. It's also nice to show a customer what their equipment started out at and what you finished at.

I sold a boiler replacement New Years Eve by showing a customer that no matter how I tuned their ancient W/M, the best it would do was 680* in the stack with CO running about 255ppm. They had another local guy servicing the thing for years and it was painfully obvious to the HO that he didn't know what he was doing after he saw the origional reading of 1,700ppm CO.

BTW. The boiler was plugged completely and the brand new First Alert, (First Abort??) never gave a chirp.
  • Rudy
    Very good question

And one that comes up alot. Basically, it's because of the manufacturer we get them from and is the reason we have started making our own (with easily replaceable t-couples).

If it was the tip of your t-couple that has broken off, you can generally fix it by plugging it in, putting vice grips on the end of the tcouple and turning the vice grips until you get a reading in the display (you are just 'reconnecting' the tips).

If that doesn't work, give me a call and we'll work something out.
  • Robert O'Connor_6
    Thanks

Rudy.

My experience with Bacharach service has been excellent. Just sent my Fyrite Pro in Xmass eve and they called today with the estimate.

Regards

Robert

ME
  • Rudy
    Depends

The manufacturer of the CO sensor recommends every 6 months and if you are doing emergency response activities, that's probably about right.

If you are doing typical HVAC work, my recommendation is once a year unless you hammer the sensor a bunch of times, then maybe more often.

A couple of things that will extend the life of the sensors (irregardless of the instrument manufacturer):

If the CO reading 'take off' and get higher than, for example 500ppm, take the probe out of the stack or disconnect the hose at the bottom of the instrument, the more CO the sensor 'sees' the shorter the life.

Of course if you are 'marketing' the instrument correctly, alot of high CO readings will translate to ... more work.

Let the instrument post purge after each job (lets say 10 minutes or so) and empty any moisture out of the trap - even leave the trap open between jobs so the filter can dry out. The O2 sensor is sensing O2 7/24 anyway and any CO left in the instrument will continue to interact with the sensor even if it is off. Flue gas moisture will also degrade the life of the sensors and instrument components - these instruments are designed to be exposed to condensate, not soaked in it.

If working on oil, do a smoke pump test first. A couple of minutes of sucking alot of smoke will plug something up... particularly instruments made a year or two ago - there is an internal filter that will catch most of the smoke particles and plug up. Replacing the filter is no big deal - instructions are on the www.bacharach-training.com website (and if you need one, I'll send it to you - just get in touch)
  • Rudy
    Whew!!

Tony, glad to hear you have had good luck and like you say, it does impress customers!!

Sounds like you have a good idea how to use the instrument as a marketing tool - that's the key.

I know of alot of companies that charge 'extra' to do a combustion test, my own feeling is that if you test every piece of equipment on a jobsite as a regular course of business, you will find enough more work to more than justify the investment - and that's what it's all about.
  • Rudy
    Ken, call me

I try real hard to have satisfied customers, I sure can't say I have batted 100% but get in touch and let's see what's going on, maybe I can help out.

I can't promise anything but unless I hear from you, I sure can't give it a shot.
  • Rudy
    To D lux and Ken

If you guys think you are getting 'jerked around' by a service center, I can be like a bull in a china shop, my contact info is below, give me a call and let's see what's going on and get things taken care of.
  • S Davis
    S Davis Member Posts: 491
    Bacharach

I use a Bacharach PCA55 with the printer option, it's really nice to leave a copy of the combustion test on site and print one for your records, I would never use anything else, no problems at all.

S Davis

Apex Radiant Heating
  • Rudy
    That's right, it is \"Great\"

Dan, get in touch and we'll make sure your investment in an electronic instrument is one of the best you've ever made!!

I am confident using this instrument will work out very well, I can give you a few tips on how to market and take care of it!!

I'd look forward to hearing from you

rudy
  • Mark Hunt
    Mark Hunt Member Posts: 4,908
    Question

How did you know that the units needed to be recalibrated?

If you only drove a car once a month, how reliable would you think cars are?

I use my Fyrite-Pro every day and I have NEVER had a problem with it.

So what kind of CO numbers are you able to record with the "dumbell"? How about O2 numbers?

With the "dumbell" tester, you test only for an inert gas. Do you think you're getting the whole picture with it?

Perhaps you need to use that digital analyzer once a day to appreciate what its capabilities are.

You have an amazing tool in your inventory, take advantage of it.

Mark H

• Mark Hunt
    USE IT MAN!!!!!!

And try to get to one of Rudy's classes.

That tool can pay for itself in one service call.

For goodness sake, USE IT!

Mark H

• Jack, CVMS
    Jack, CVMS Member Posts: 81
    Combustion Analyzer

When we bought our first electronic tester (Testo 325) we added $15 to the first hour so we could pay it off in about a year (we hoped). The savings in time to complete an annual service actually saved the customer money, and let us do more jobs per day. We bought a second unit the next year ('cause my partner and I were fighting over who got to use the Testo) and we'll buy another one this year so we have a spare on the shelf.
    For difficult jobs - where someone else has screwed up the adjustments and you have to redo everything - these are life savers. Once you use them, it's difficult to go back to the liquid testers.
  • Brian_24
    Brian_24 Member Posts: 76

Hey Rudy,
    My PCA has been gone so long I forgot I owned one. If it wasn't for Jim Davis I would have switched to Testo. But he assured me the 120 would work out for me. So far so good.
    Brian
  • Chris_42
    Chris_42 Member Posts: 1

I just got a call from supplier that my 125 has finally made it back. Been gone about a month. $400 and a month w/o it I'm not impressed with the customer service at this point. Rudy i'll be in touch.
  • jim sokolovic
    jim sokolovic Member Posts: 439
    PCA-25 sensor connections...

Seeing the posts on performance problems on Bacharach analyzers prompts me to again post this personal experience: The wire connection terminals to the Oxygen sensor in the unit that we have are in now way correct for the sensor connection. I had to squeeze both of the terminals with vise grips to get good contact. I didn't want to do this without first verifying with the person Rudy directed me to (forgot his name?). The terminals were loose by design, it seemed, not loosened over time. This seemed all strange but could be why others have problems? The unit works excellent otherwise! Hope this helps.
  • Rudy
    On the road again

Hey guys, I'm on the road til Monday, I can get emails but I can't send any. I'll respond to those of you have sent me emails on Monday or if you want to call my cell phone, I'll be available most of the time during the next couple of days.

My cell number is 412-576-1350. I genuinely look forward to hearing from you.

Another possibility is to contact Norm Grazier at the plant 724-334-5067.

The heating season will be over soon, lets get any problems taken care of ASAP!!

rudy
  • Rusty_2
    Rusty_2 Member Posts: 4
    Testo 325

Have had the 325 with IR printer for 4 years. Have replaced sensors once, and besides calibration, only cost was paper.
    We bought bacharach analyzers last year to try them out and the condensate traps were all broken in 1st week. They were replaced at n/c, but they seem to go in for repairs alot. At least 2x the first year for each one. I found the testo durable and dependable. Only complaint was the lack of instructions it came with. Had to figure most options out on my own.

• Bacharach 125

Just reading this thread and unboxing a 125 that my Dad has given me. He used it once or twice about three years ago.
    I have one question.
    Why doesn't the O2 read anything but zero?

I see great potential for this tool and will use it on every call.
    Does it need an O2 sensor? How much are they? Where do I get one?
    OK OK, so I had more than one question.
  • Mark Hunt
    O2 sensors

If the unit is 3 years old, it needs a new O2 sensor. They only last about a year.Even when the unit is off the O2 sensor is still working. Happens to every O2 sensor, including those ODS (Oxygen Depletion Sensors) on "vent free"(HAHAHAHHAA) heating appliances.

The 125 is a GREAT tool. You can replace the O2 sensor your self. 4 screws. Just order one.

Get to a school on testing ASAP. You won't believe what you will learn.

Mark H

• tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,800
    Analyzer servicing??

Both before mentioned makers of analyzers have been suspect in their repair dept. in past. I have sent analyzers into both suspects and don't think i have ever seen my units back in less than 4 weeks on every occasion. I now use Testo but don't know if i have a really good reason except I think i have less service with it than my prior Fyrite II units. To me service on these units is the #1 item, when they are down we have others but dont have spares sitting around. Just ordered 3 more Testo 325s with 16 ft hose sets and IR printers. They have promised a quick turn around on repair, I will cross my fingers. Tim
  • jerryb
    jerryb Member Posts: 113
    combustion analyzer

Mat, Ihave a Bachrach #300 for-sale e-mailme if your interested.
  • Jim Miller_2
    \"Fyrite bites concrete\"

my Fyrite 125 just "bit the concrete" today -
    it seems to want to work, display comes on and starts the countdown, but the pump does not run - I checked and it is still plugged to the board..... now I get to find out how quick or un-quick it is to get these things repaired......
  • roger provencher
    roger provencher Member Posts: 14
    Testo 325

three service techs are using these units on a daily basis. I find the units to be very reliable, units are sent in every 12 to 18 months for calibration and check up, the cost is well worth the investment for us. once you learn how to read the results, you will find it a great diagnostic tool. it will tell you things that a liquid tester can never do
  • jalcoplumb_2
    jalcoplumb_2 Member Posts: 172
    UEI C75

I have no complaints.
  • Robert O'Connor_6
    Bacharach - Great Service

I sent my Baharach Fyrite Pro 125 in for service Christmss Eve. It was returned to me two weeks to the day later. I think that is good service.

Regards

Robert

ME
  • Jim Miller_2
    here it comes !?

got a call from Bacharach today - fyrite pro is repaired and on it's way back tomorrow - just sent it in via UPS on Friday Jan 07...... I paid an extra $80 for "expidited" service consideration...... the are charging me that $80, plus $85 for recalibration.....other repairs covered by warranty, and I am the one that dropped it on the concrete(and I clearly told them that).... so far I like the service from bacharach!
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    Good observations Rudy.

send it back once... *~/;)....my ultra sound aint leaving on any paid vacations either.
  • dano415
    dano415 Member Posts: 22
    I wish there was more competition!

I would love to see some more companies producing combustion analyzers.

Hopefully the price will come down with competition?

If I was running Bacharach--the O2 sensors would be sold at cost, plus shipping. 

I think it would be a good marketing tool and more guy's would upgrade.  Plus,

if the price was right you could use them to tune up your truck--carb adjusting,

pre smog work, etc?

I once of heard of a guy who made his own oxygen sensor.  He used an automotive

O2 sensor.  If anyone knows how he put it together, I would be interested.

And don't worry--I'm not going to use it on a furnace/boiler--just curious. 
This discussion has been closed.