Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
In fairness to all, we don't discuss pricing on the Wall. Thanks for your cooperation.
Need to contact us? Visit

Man dies unclogging toilet!!!!!

A local man died from chlorine fumes while trying to unclog his toilet. Here's the story:
Yesterday was the first day Windber Borough Police Sgt. Rick Skiles didn't feel like an elephant was sitting on his chest he said.
Skiles responded to a 911 hang-up call 3:38 Monday afternoon to find that 68 year old James Battiste had died from poison gas fumes.
"I could see him lying there," Skiles said. I rushed to open the door and gave him CPR, but, as soon as I opened the door, I went down like somebody had hit me with a baseball bat across the legs."
Skiles said the effect of his exposure to the fumes lasted for two days.
What it does is acts in your lungs like congestive heart failure," he said.
The Windber man had mixed Liquid Plumber and he Works in an attempt to unplug an upstairs toilet Monday afternoon, Skiles said."
The combination proved lethal. Windber Fire Department aired out the building and transported Battiste to Windber Medical Center where he was pronounced dead at the scene.
His reported cause of death is chlorine gas poisoning.
Skiles said it appeared that the fumes sickened Battiste, so he made it downstairs to the phone, dialed 911 and passed out in his home along Railroad Street. "He didn't get any farther than that," Skiles said.
Skiles said he has never seen, or inhaled, anything like that before.
"It's sad because it wasn't necessary. He could have called a plumber, read the labels. You can't mix that kind of stuff."********
This story appeared in our local paper The Somerset Daily American.
I've unclogged a lot of drains where customers have attempted various chemical remedies. I never gave too much thought about dying from the fumes....



This discussion has been closed.


It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!