Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Where'd the water go?

Options
John Shea
John Shea Member Posts: 247
Entered the boiler room this morning to find the WL way too high. I drained off the bottom to an acceptable level (it's usually 3/4 way up the sight glass).

When I ran the boiler for the first time after that, it ran for about 4 minutes until the pressuretrol kicked the burner off. Within a few seconds, the water level dropped quickly to a point where it couldn't be seen. Maybe 30 seconds after that, the level returned to an acceptable level with very little help from the Auto Feeder.

What happened to the water? I know that High pressure goes to Lower pressure always, but I'm still confused as to what could be happening.

I know also that the boiler water appears clean, but water is coming over the top of the glass. Going downtown to add SQUICK this afternoon. Anybody know of a good chemical to deal with pH? I'm afraid of vinegar!

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• George_10
    George_10 Member Posts: 580
    Options
    This sounds like a mechanical problem rather than a chemical

problem.

We can help with chemistry problems, but you need to figure out what is happening to your water level.

We have brand new products available for cleaning and treating small residential steam boiler systems.

Go to our web site, www.rhomarwater.com for the benefit details for these two new products that we are just releasing for 2005.

Call me at 800-543-5975 if you feel we can be of further assistance.
  • Dale
    Dale Member Posts: 1,317
    Options
    Change?

If nothing else has changed it sounds like you need to skim. the other thing is to make sure the gauge glass ports are clean and open. chemicals are fine to clean but need to be removed with the dirt. Then stabilization chems are added. On the water level if the boiler is newer you can email the mfg to find out what they want the water level to be at. They'll give you a measurement from the floor , boiler feet.
This discussion has been closed.