Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

The dumbing down continues... (ME)

Options
Last Friday, I had to make an emergency run for some small plumbing parts because ALL the major players in Denver were closed...

I get to the copper fitting isle, and lo and behold, I see what looks like ProPress fittings. HUH!?!

I look closer and notice that they are propress style fittings, minus the O ring with SOLDER in the recess where the O rings usually reside.

I guess the manufacturer decided that the weekend warriors don't know the correct amount of solder to apply, so they do it for them.

In my experience, it's that the weekend warriors don't know how much heat to apply and end up frying the living crap out of the joint. Ain't no amount of solder that will cure that syndrome. Maybe I'll start working on a fitting that changes from one color to another when it's at ideal soldering temperature. Heck, I can charge up to twice as much for this idea too!

Where will it stop?

Anyone else seen these puppies?

ME

Comments

• ed wallace
    ed wallace Member Posts: 1,613
    Options
    fittings

i saw them at home depot on the 24th its a great idea in theory but scary how many homeowners will try to heat them with a hair dryer
  • Dave Yates (PAH)
    Dave Yates (PAH) Member Posts: 2,162
    Options
    humnnnn

what fills the void where the ring of solder was??? I'm thinking I can roll up some dough balls and sell them as adsorbtion pads for those stubborn solder joints(G). "The Quicker Sucker Upper" (sorry Rosie)

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    Options
    maybe it is to help insure our employment opportunitiess:))

sort of a "pre Sabotauged" fitting :)
  • Firedragon_4
    Firedragon_4 Member Posts: 1,436
    Options
    Mark, HD is a full-line

Ridgid dealer. If you sign up as a contractor you will get a catalog and ProPress tools can be ordered as any other item. They don't stock them due to inventory concerns.

Further, HD has a working relationship with many OEM's now and can order virtually anything through them.

BTW, it goes through the normal supply chain, so wholesalers and reps are involved.
  • Firedragon_4
    Firedragon_4 Member Posts: 1,436
    Options
    Incidently, if you

go to Ridgid's website and use 'locate a dealer', not only will most of your favorite supply houses show up, but so will HD's, tons of them.

Including, are you ready for this: Home Depot Rental Center's. Found out about that one when I wanted to try a ProPress, nice tool, BTW.
  • stevel
    stevel Member Posts: 25
    Options
    copper fittings

that type of pre soldered fitting has been available
    in the U.K. for over twenty years, just heat the joint
    until the solder appears from the fitting, voila job
    done..
  • S Ebels
    S Ebels Member Posts: 2,322
    Options
    What about

Flux? Is it already in there too? Or do we still have to sand and paste the fitting and pipe?
  • Robert O'Connor_6
    Robert O'Connor_6 Member Posts: 299
    Options
    ISH

I found out at ISH Frankfurt a few years back that that these fittings are the norm for the Europeans

Regards

Robert

ME
  • Sweet
    Sweet Member Posts: 31
    Options
    dumb dumb

Heres to kicking skill and expierience to the curb.
  • I can see Home Depot selling and,,,

renting the pro-press tool. Why not?

They sell everything elce!!

"the future's uncertain & the end is allways near." (Jim Morrisson.)

This will be fine with me because I will end up cutting the whole thing out anyway when they call.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Ron Schroeder_2
    Ron Schroeder_2 Member Posts: 176
    Options

I have used them but only in a really cramped space. It's against my religion to use them elsewhere. ;-)

Ron
This discussion has been closed.