Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

steam radiator

Options
Dave_53
Dave_53 Member Posts: 2
I have an apartment in an old building that is heated with a steam system. My radiator does not always get hot. Someone said I should flush it. Is that a good idea, and if so, how is it done.

Comments

• billwickz
    billwickz Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Rad

Call your landlord about "flushing" and other such stuff. But in the meantime, you can try replacing the air vent on the side of the radiator that doesn't work to see if that helps it "heat up." That may be all it needs.
  • Dave_53
    Dave_53 Member Posts: 2
    Options

Thanks a bunch for responding.

My problem is the landlord claims he is not certain what to do. Some of my friends mentioned flushing the radiators. I looked on the internet and could not find any specific information. Thus I thought a person might help.

Do you know if steam radiators can be flushed. And if so, how is it done and what does it accomplish.

Thanks again,
    Dave
  • Thad English
    Thad English Member Posts: 152
    Options
    no

You should attempt to deal with the vent, first. Flushing is a process that could possibly be done on a hot water radiator or steam radiator, but there are other steps that are easier and cheaper to do first to try to fix your problem. Unscrew the radiator vent (it's the little thingy on the side of the radiator that is not attached to a pipe) and take it off of the radiator. [Be careful not to scald yourself on the steam when you take the vent off.] Then try to blow through it. If you cannot blow through it, you can boil it in vinegar (which smells terrible) or you can go to a plumbing supply store and buy a replacement for a few dollars.

You should really order "We Got Steam Heat" from the "books and more" page of this website. It explains the basics that you should know. And it's an easy read, written for us laymen.
This discussion has been closed.