Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

My Sons Christmas Lesson ( s. milne)

Options
ScottMP
ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
First of all let me appologise for always talking about my sons. I'll get back to heating one of these days.

My oldest son Christopher who is seven, won a raffle for " The Worlds Largest Christmas Stocking " from our local hardware store. It was huge, about seven feet tall and filled with toys.

After having a serious talk with his Dad, and after a few tears he decided to give this stocking to a local homeless shelter. Its was a tough decision for a seven year old. I told him how many toys he has and how many more toys Santa would bring him. I let him know how some kids don't have a home and that Santa might not find them. He asked " Do I Have to do this Dad ? ". I said no he did'nt, it was his decision to make but that it would make me really proud of him and Santa would be very happy.

His mother asked him if he would like to go down and see where the kids lived and he said O.K. he would do it.

I would not have pushed for this a few years ago.

Dan, you and all of the other wallies have taught me how important it is to think of others less fortunate. Thank You All. You All have helped me teach my son a Huge Lesson and some little children had a Merrier Christmas because of all of us.

Here's a photo of Christopher at the Hardware store and with the woman who runs the shelter.

It really was a Merry Christmas.

Scott

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=237&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• Paul Rohrs_2
    Paul Rohrs_2 Member Posts: 171
    Options
    a true Christmas story......

It warms the heart Scott. I got to know you a little at the Lobstafest, and was able to also meet your lovely bride. It is a tremendous lesson for your boys to learn even if they don't fully understand it.

To borrow from story of the "Grinch" at Christmas....I bet your boys "heart grew 10 sizes that day". You have every right to be proud and I am proud to know you.

Regards,

PR
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,526
    Options
    Scott,

I'll say it again. You're a beautiful man.

Thanks for sharing.

And, Christopher, you're my hero!
    Retired and loving it.
  • Murph'_5
    Murph'_5 Member Posts: 349
    Options
    Kudos to you scott...

And to Christopher's Great spirit of giving, a very heart-warming story.

Murph'

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Jamie_6
    Jamie_6 Member Posts: 710
    Options

Scott,

I woulnd't expect anything less from one of your children!

THEY HAVE A GREAT ROLE MODEL OF A FATHER.

Jamie

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Dan_15
    Dan_15 Member Posts: 388
    Options
    Thanks!!!!

Scott, please pass along "thanks" to your son for sharing the "true spirit of Christmas". Thanks to you and your wife for being great role models.
  • A simple truth

it is better to give than to receive. That is however a very difficult thing for a seven year old to understand. It is wonderful that Christopher already has it in him to want to share with those less fortunate. I can tell you from experience that teaching children to be willing to give to others less fortunate will definitely come back to reward them in the end. Think of this if you will, the first part of his name is "Christ" the one who gave it all.
    A tribute to great parents to have such a wonderful young man.
  • Bill Nye_2
    Bill Nye_2 Member Posts: 538
    Options
    Scott Milne,

Like I have said all along, you're a good man. Tough decision for a kid though, just like giving away a million dollar ticket or something.

My life is richer just knowing you guys from the wall. Happy Holidays.
  • Mad Dog
    Mad Dog Member Posts: 2,595
    Options
    You dun raisin' good kin there Scott!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A fine lesson it was. I agree with ya. Its getting to the point where we don't want to buy our kids ANY gifts (well maybe one) because the grandparents and relatives inundate them with presents...it really is disgusting...AND, grandpa won't listen either....so, we just bag em up every few weeks and off to the needier kids. Mad Dog

• chuck shaw
    chuck shaw Member Posts: 584
    Options
    Its OK Scott

when your kids are like that, keep talking!!!!

Chuck
  • Tom_35
    Tom_35 Member Posts: 265
    Options
    Christopher

Steve,

Christopher just grew up in a big way. There's not many kids that would do that. Learning that it's better to give than receive is a great blessing.

You have reason to be really proud, and remember this Christmas from now on.

Congratulations,

Tom Atchley
  • ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    Options
    Thanks

for all the really nice comments.

Maddog, we have the same problem. Its nice that so many people love your children and give them presents but sometimes its too much.

I'll say it again, I would not have done this without knowing all of you. ALL of you.

Scott

• Wayco Wayne_2
    Wayco Wayne_2 Member Posts: 2,479
    Options
    Well done

Scott please tell your son for me how proud we all are. He learned about giving back. The Wall has been such a place of growth for me in more ways than just heating. To watch it spill over into our familys' growth is heartening. WW

• S Ebels
    S Ebels Member Posts: 2,322
    Options
    Scotty

You have just helped your son learn a "life" lesson. It will be invaluable to him as he grows up and throughout all of adulthood. In fact, what you helped him discover by doing that, is a big part of being worthy of the title "adult".

Many Blessings to you and yours.
  • Mark Eatherton1
    Mark Eatherton1 Member Posts: 2,542
    Options
    Like father, like son..

You're doing a good job Scott. Keep it up, and kudos for your wife for putting up with you:-)

ME
  • John R. Hall
    John R. Hall Member Posts: 2,246
    Options
    Scott

It seems that the finest people I meet are those who care about others. Coincidence? I think not. You sir, are one of the finest people I have met, inside or outside of this trade. You exemplify the importance of family -- and of giving.

Give Christopher a big hug from his Bosox fans here in Michigan.
  • Wild Bill
    Wild Bill Member Posts: 112
    Options
    Wow!

I would say the die is firmly cast for a rock solid great kid, I only hope I have the same type of success for my son. Congratulations to you and your boy for remembering those less fortunate....you make the world a much better place.

Happy New Year,
    Bill Hobbie
This discussion has been closed.