Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

heating with wood boiler

Options
I have recently purchased a central wood boiler.The piping between the house and boiler have been installed.I used ecoflex.Wondering if anyone has any ideas for the best way to pipe it up.I will be using in floor radiant,9" weil mclain cast iron baseboard,and radiators to heat with.

Comments

• hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Options
    I'd like to see you

first use a flat plat heat exchanger to isolate that open system, non pressurized boiler from you heating loads.

Then a primary secondary circuit to tie in all the various loads.

Dan has some excellent beginner level books for sale here, at the books and more button. Pumping Away, and Primary Secondary Made Easy would be two to get for Christmas :)

hot rod

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • John Barba1
    John Barba1 Member Posts: 67
    Options
    you would like to see what ?

yes thank you for your response already have purchased some of mr.holahans books.
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    Options
    are you talking supplemental btu's?

any other heating appliances in the equasion? eco flex is great stuff . the decouplingof the boiler out put from the piping thru a heat exchanger helps in a variety of ways..one being the house side doesnt bounce all up and down in reacion to variations in boiler operations.
  • Gary O'Day
    Gary O'Day Member Posts: 1
    Options
    problem with getting hot water to heat the house

We have a central wood furnace, we hae 185 at the outdoor furance, we only have at the mixer valve 90.
    we have taken out air bubbles, and all pumps are working.
    We cant seem to get the heat up into house.
    We think it may be the mixing valve.
    Is there a certain way the pumps have to installed
    How close are they suppose to be to mixing valve?
    Thanks

• John Barba1
    Options
    supplemental btu

possibly DHW but defintely radiant floor heat C.I. baseboard,and two smaller radiators.not for sure what the benifits of the heat exchanger are.
  • John Barba1
    Options
    problem with getting hot water to house

what type of pipe did you use to get hot water to house.does pipe run through high water table
  • Weezbo
    Options
    well, lets suppose it had been \"working\" right from the get .

go, and i wanted Heat out of the mixing valve and into my home,i would take a phillips screw driver to the mixing valve or an allen key depending on the manufacturers fastening devise to the handle close the valve all the way down,remove the screw put th twist on the valve to full open pick up the cap reset it and dial the thing three more numbers higher for an hour or so..if that worked...then id make the current setting the highest point it could open to ,put the screw back in turn it down a number and leave it alone...
  • Thomas Mörtberg
    Thomas Mörtberg Member Posts: 10
    Options
    wood boiler pumps

On open systems, which pumps (Brand) works best when there most likely is a vaacum on the pump inlet. Pump in basements, only about 5 - 10 ft wc above the pump.
  • Weezbo
    Options
    Thomas,some how i missed this ...

to the best of my knowledge Gould pumps can work with a Vaccume however they are for like shallow wells and the like...and i have used them to force prime 1000 ft loops of anti freeze in half inch tubing...however i am not sure if your wanting to prove flow or use it for continious operation. if the latter of the two is true, it isnt designed for that purpose..do you have a pump already ? can you post a picture of what you are looking at.?
  • Thomas Mörtberg
    Thomas Mörtberg Member Posts: 10
    Options
    heating with wood boilers

I just work with service of HVAC systems and most residential circulators need more or less pressure on the inlet to perform. Just wanted to know if somebody had a good advice of what to recommend of small ciculators. My thoughts are B&G 100;s?
  • Betz
    Betz Member Posts: 58
    Options
    Central Boiler

recommends using Taco brand pumps. I have a very old CI radiator converted from gravity system and use a Taco 007 for constant circulation around the outdoor boiler, and to get heat to all my radiators I use a Taco 011. My system is directly plumbed into the existing boiler as recommended by Central Boiler. Their website has some very detailed illustrations for in-floor, radiant, or forced air heat hookups. I think it's a good idea to check out all of those options on their site.
  • Betz
    Betz Member Posts: 58
    Options
    Vacuum

It seems like you should be able to install your pump so there isn't a vacuum on the inlet. Once again, your boiler manufacturer should have some very detailed illustrations on where to put your pumps. At the very worst you will have a pump hanging from the side of your boiler, that should cover about any type of hookup inside your house. And the Tacos work very well for this.
This discussion has been closed.