Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Wicked Wet Steam

Options
Vicky
Vicky Member Posts: 6
I've studied Lost Art and it seems to me that the boiler piping might be the cause of the wet steam in my single pipe steam system. Can anyone confirm or deny this based on the pictures? Thanks.

The cut in is set at 0.5, differential at 1.0
There is more than 28" between the water line and lowest steam carrying pipe (the dry return).
There is more than 24" from the waterline to the header
The thermostat is set at 1 CPH.

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    Sure.

If your riser from the boiler were to come up to an elbow, go sideways THROUGH the run of the tee, and then straight from the tee to an elbow pointing down, which is your equalizer and hartford loop drop to the boiler return, you would be OK.

The water and steam leaving the boiler is going close to 30-60 MPH. It DOESN'T turn left at YOUR equalizer connection, ang go back to the boiler. It goes straight through your tee, and up into the system.

Pipe it like the boiler installation book shows, and it'll work.

Noel
  • Dale
    Dale Member Posts: 1,317
    Options
    Like the picture

Noel is of course correct. You have a lot of evidence that the near boiler piping diagram wasn't followed. I'm not even sure there's pitch on what passed for the return and that vent if it ever worked isn't big enough or in the correct place. I would go on Burnhams web site get the picture and have someone pipe it that way. I'm not sure but it looks like you may be able to use 2 risers off that boiler which could go into a nice drop header to feed multiple risers to your what looks to me like 2 supply mains.
  • ed wallace
    ed wallace Member Posts: 1,613
    Options
    steam piping

if you are in Boston Ma. give me a call at 617-908-0554 i can help you
  • David Sutton_5
    David Sutton_5 Member Posts: 87
    Options
    Have it repiped

Steam boilers must be piped right to get the maximum preformance from it, a drop header is a great way to get dry steam, call Ed he'll help you out
  • jesse the great
    jesse the great Member Posts: 72
    Options
    boston home own-ah

sadly your boiler should be re-piped just like everyone else has told you your boiler has 2 tappings coming out of the top just like mine so when its repiped it will look simular to this
  • Mad Dog
    Mad Dog Member Posts: 2,595
    Options
  • Vicky
    Vicky Member Posts: 6
    Options
    Nice picture Jesse

Thanks all for the advice!
This discussion has been closed.