Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

subpanel help

Options
i plan to put in a electric baseboard heater for a bathroom.
i need to put in a subpanel upstairs, what size wire and what kind do i need to get for a subpanel.

Comments

• Ted_9
    Ted_9 Member Posts: 1,718
    Options

This is a heating web site, but you may want to differ to a licensed electrician for the info you seek. This has more to do with line voltage than it does heating.

PATRIOT HEATING & COOLING, INC.
  • Ron Schroeder_3
    Ron Schroeder_3 Member Posts: 254
    Options

If all that you are adding is a baseboard heater, you don't need a sub panel. If you are going to run other loads, then you need to determine your total load.

Codes vary in different areas. In my area, a 60 amp sub panel can be fed with #6 Romex.

Most areas don't allow homeowners to install sub panels and require an electrician to do it.

Since you are asking this question, I would reccomend you get an electrician.

Ron
  • ed wallace
    ed wallace Member Posts: 1,613
    Options
    sub panel and electric baseboard

why are you installing electric baseboard in the bathroom what kind of heat do you have now
  • jim lockard
    jim lockard Member Posts: 1,059
    Options
    SK

Pal thats one of those questions where if you got to ask, then you need find a local electrician. I know its fun to do home projects but this one is best left to a pro.Best Wishes J.Lockard
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    Options
    Sk, There are a lot of codes we go by....

The NEC is printed every few years and the mechanical and plumbing codes are also, while i am an electrician , i would say there are certain load calulations that need to be done to determine available amperage and the current draw and full load on your system you now have.there are also bonding and grounding issues when installing electrical devises around certain bath room fixtures.The codes are governed by a code specifically for pools ,spas etc. really you are best served by finding an electrical contractor who can go to your home and make some of these determinations. Our society has become extremely litigious and to send someone off on a fools errand is the equivalent of negligent homoside should they take off doing things that could potentialy cause some one to lose their lives ,based on some speculative guess.Here we also do load calulations and heat losses. electrical heat we can do however not really everyones first choise. there are many variables to consider, really. electrical pannels have lots of requirements,new work may require arc falut interruptors to be installed in bed rooms , there is alot of other minor technicalities that relate to fire safety codes and belive it or not, in your area it depends on the authority having jurisdiction....we are not able to see how far away one pannel is from another nor divine how much heat loss the room has and a host of other minor technicalities. if any of this has helped you see what you may need to do orclarified any misconceptions you may have had feel free to support Dans Site with a purchase of a brick...best wishes in your endevours...
This discussion has been closed.