Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Old cast boiler, in-floor, replacement boiler

Mike22
Mike22 Member Posts: 3
Got one for you guys and gals. A friend called me up and wanted my in-put... not sure what to set boiler temp at.
Old american cast iron boiler, small unit, oil fired. Small 1,000 sq foot home on slab. Boiler is in garage.
No relief valve, 3/4" copper out from top of boiler through circ pump into slab and back 3/4" copper into bottom of boiler. Water feed supply ties into return line and expantion tank over head off discharge. Been this way for 40 years and with NO relief valve!

What should be the circ temp into floor? Obviously 110deg. F. should be about right but that will condense boiler... but not sure of pipe spacing, how much etc.?
It has been this way but the boiler limit was turned down and I have no idea where I should set it? The T-stat starts pump and Boiler limit shuts down when boiler reaches when set at 90, 100, 120, 140, 160 etc ? so what would be the right temp?

She wants a new boiler so getting bid from local heating company as she feels propane would be more efficient.
Will there be that much difference in operating costs with a new boiler? Also, what about a voyager (boiler/Hot water) mix unit?

Your thoghts etc...

Comments

This discussion has been closed.