Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Code Question

Options
Tony_8
Tony_8 Member Posts: 608
Recently I informed a customer who lives in a man. home that his water heater was not approved for that installation. He didn't believe me so he asked the local hardware store what the difference is and they didn't know. So he's leaving it in. To top it off, his HO insurance told him they didn't see a problem with it either.

Does anyone know where I can find this code in print ?

TIA,

Tony

Comments

• S Ebels
    S Ebels Member Posts: 2,322
    Options
    Simply put

The appliance in question has to say "suitable for use in a manufactured home" right on it. This includes furnaces also. The main difference in a water heater is the location of the cold water inlet. It's always down on the side of the water heater for mobile homes.
  • Tony_8
    Tony_8 Member Posts: 608
    Options
    well...

The main difference I know of that is a safety issue is the sealed vent and intake for combustion air. I've seen many with top inlets for cold water.

I actually know someone who's MH burned down (9 minutes !) and his HO insurance refused to pay because he installed a std 40 gal water heater and it rolled out, setting fire to the closet it was in.

Now this guy thinks I'm trying to scare him into a sale :( Truth is I've never done that in my life. Thought if I could find it in print just to prove my point....
  • Alan R. Mercurio_3
    Alan R. Mercurio_3 Member Posts: 1,620
    Options

Tony, I just cut an pasted the section relevent to your question. as mentioned above this falls under HUD.

To: Manufactured Home Manufacturers, Dealers, and Installers

Date: March 1 1989

Subject: Clarification of Licensing, Installation, and Code Laws and Rules

Water heaters must be listed for use in manufactured homes. The burner must be separated from the atmosphere in the home. Older homes have the water heaters in an exterior compartment with combustion air provided by means of louvers to the outside of the home. Newer homes usually have a sealed combustion water heater located in an interior closet. Sealed combustion water heaters have no draft diverter and receive combustion air ducted through the floor to outside the home. In all cases, water heaters must be installed in accordance with the heater manufacturer's installation instructions. Replacement water heaters must match the original installation. Do not replace sealed combustion water heaters with a type designed to be used in a compartment with louvers to the outdoors.

Your friend in the industry,
    Alan R. Mercurio

www.oiltechtalk.com

There was an error rendering this rich post.

This discussion has been closed.