Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Aluminum block boilers with cast iron rads

Options
What do you think of using alumimum boilers with cast iron radiators with/without boiler manufacturer approved moly additives? I've heard mixed opinions and am not sure whether I should be offering my iron rad customers these aluminum block boilers when installing new boilers for them.

Are we stuck not using Weil-McLain, Buderus, Dunkirk, et al. aluminum block condensing boilers in homes with iron rads?

Would appreciate hearing opinions from all but especially from the boiler manufacturers lurking here.

Thanks.

Comments

• hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Options
    I'd worry

more about rust and scale plugging the small HX passages then water quality itself.

Keep the ph in the 7-8.5 required by most aluminum block boilers, a dash of Rhomar inhibitor, and sleep soundly.

I think a Y strainer is very important. As is the frequent inspection of such :)

What's in your wallet, er I mean water.

hot rod

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Boilerpro_3
    Boilerpro_3 Member Posts: 1,231
    Options
    I believe the Dunkirks have large passages

since there is very little pressure drop across the boiler, so rust and scale shouldn't be much of a problem on these.

Boilerpro
  • Jason Horner
    Jason Horner Member Posts: 58
    Options

Weil-McLain has a filter/strainer they recommend for use with the Ultra and I think it may be similar to the one I saw the other day at a HeatLink course.

The one I saw looks like a domestic water filter enclosure and has a stack of plastic disks inside about 8" tall. Filter disk stack is removable and washable - supposedly filters to 55 microns.
This discussion has been closed.