Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Vapor system problem

Options
Guys

I went to help a contractor troubleshoot a steam job on an old house this week. It is a vapor system with a Sarco #31 alternating receiver on the job. The boiler is operating at about 1-1/2 lbs pressure and most of the copper convectors heat Ok, but about 7 out of 20 do not get heat or heat only in the first few inches of the convector. The contractor replaced all of the steam traps on the jobs, both on the radaitors and the crossover traps. He thought that was the problem and in a few instances he got some convectors that had not heated before to heat up well. However, 7 units still do not heat. The building owner insists the convectors are scaled and clogged since the convectors supply pipe is very hot and the heat stops at the inlet valve.. If you remove the steam trap on the return the convectors still do not heat. There is only one place to eliminate air and that is a large vent connected to the #31 receiver. The vent has been replaced and still no heat. Any ideas?? I think this system has been this way for a long period of time.

Comments

• Did he disconnect any inlets

from the problem rads while the system was steaming ? Anything come out , if he did ? Are the problem rads throughout the home , or in one area of the home ? Sounds like a tough one , hope you track it down .
  • Unknown
    Options
    Prisco, the pressure is too high

That's the first issue. When it gets that high, the alternating reciever shuts the vent by pressurizing the returns with steam. This lets the water slide into the boiler, but with the pressure still high, no heating will go on where the air is trapped; all after the pressure builds. And the pressure will stay high as long as the thermostat is calling.

That's not the only problem, though. You should get steam up the wazoo with the radiator trap cover removed, if the valve passes steam. The valve is my first guess.

Is the boiler big enough? Are the mains insulated?

Noel
  • Noel , I sent you an email

at your work . I'm not sure if you got it ?
  • Unknown
    Options
    Not as of 5 today

Noel
This discussion has been closed.