Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

political correctness

Options
Mitch_4
Mitch_4 Member Posts: 955
I found this,and as a retired service person, I also found it offensive even though I am Canadian. I have copied it for you.

The Omission From the New WWII Memorial

I don't care if you are an unbeliever, one should not change the words of history.

Today I went to visit the new World War II Memorial in Washington, DC.
I got an unexpected history lesson. Since I'm a baby boomer, I was one of the youngest in the crowd. Most were the age of my parents, veterans of "the greatest war" with their families. It was a beautiful day, and people were smiling and happy to be there. Hundreds of us milled around the memorial, reading the inspiring words of Ike and Truman that are engraved there.

On the Pacific side of the memorial, a group of us gathered to read the words President Roosevelt used to announce the attack on Pearl Harbor: "Yesterday, December 7, 1941-- a date which will live in infamy-- the United States of America was suddenly and deliberately attacked."

One woman read the words aloud: " With confidence in our armed forces, with the un bounding determination of our people, we will gain the inevitable triumph." But as she read, she was suddenly angry. "Wait a minute," she said. "They left out the end of the quote. They left out the most important part. Roosevelt said "so help us God."

"You're probably right," her husband said. "We're not supposed to say things like that now."

"I know I'm right," she insisted. "I remember the speech." The two shook their heads sadly and walked away.

Listening to their conversation, I thought to myself, "Well, it has been
50 years. She's probably forgotten."

But she was right.

I went home and pulled out the book my book club is reading. It's "Flags of Our Fathers" by James Bradley. It's all about Iwo Jima. I haven't gotten too far in the book. It's tough to read because it's a graphic description of the battles in the Pacific.

But right there it was on page 58. Roosevelt's speech to the nation. It ends "so help us God."

The people who edited out that part of the speech when they engraved it on the memorial could have fooled me. I was born after the war. But they couldn't fool the people who were there. Roosevelt's words are engraved on their hearts.

WHO GAVE THEM THE RIGHT TO CHANGE THE WORDS OF HISTORY?????????

Send this around to your friends. People need to know before everyone forgets.

People today are trying to change the history of America by leaving God out of it, but the truth is, God has been a part of this nation, since the beginning. He still wants to be....

Comments

• Constantin
    Constantin Member Posts: 3,796
    Options
    Actually, you appear to be wrong, sir!

The text of this e-mail was suspicious to me. So I plunked it into Google, and low and behold, it is a hoax. See the History Network for an explanation of the hoax.

A complete transcript of the speech can be found at the Scripps Library of the University of VA. Whitehousetapes.org offers a MP3 version of the famous Dec. 8 speech, if you prefer to hear it yourself.

In the future, it may serve you best to research attempts to get you riled up before you post them on the internet as the "truth". Plus, as a public service please inform anyone you forwarded this hoax plus those that originally sent it to you that it is a hoax. Peace.
  • Chuckles_2
    Chuckles_2 Member Posts: 52
    Options

Who cares whether the story above is true if it sounds good and confirms your suspicions? The facts don't matter, it is whether you believe it that counts.

A recent survey showed that many voters believed things that simply aren't true, like "Saddam Hussein was involved in 9/11".
  • Constantin
    Options
    All too true... Unfortunately.

Nonetheless, it still disheartens me how unwilling some people are to engage that wonderful cerebral cortex that they were born with. All those reasoning powers making way for the simplest message that the spin-meisters, fear-mongers, etc. can send... a waste, really!

On the wall, we laud when lowest-common-denominator heating systems are finally replaced or retrofitted to run well. I wish our pop and political culture could do more of the same.
  • Mitch_4
    Options
    I Stand

Corrected. And have forwarded appropriate apologies where I have sent this.

To all I apologize for My error. Thing like this get my blood BOILING. Political Correctness has a place, but within limits and reason. All to often I have seen things rewritten (Like politically correct fairy tales) That P**S me off. I leaped before I looked.

Apologies to all, and my thanks to Constantin for showing me how thinking is better than reacting.

Peace.

Mike
  • S Ebels
    S Ebels Member Posts: 2,322
    Options
    Mike

You do have a valid concern. Check out elementary and high school history texts. Nearly all references to religion in the early years of our country are being ommitted. In fact find an American history book from the 40'-50's at the used book store and compare how the USA itself is portrayed compared to your kids'history book. I'd like to know where all this "we are the bad people" crap comes from and why it's in there.

• and how much about religion needs to be taught? If I think back to what started this country and the major events in its developement since, religion wasn't the primary focus, and our founding fathers, while acknowlegding god in their various ways, were of different faiths and piety themselves.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Chuckles_2
    Chuckles_2 Member Posts: 52
    Options

Mostly, people who talk abstractly about religion are in fact advocating one particular religion. It is not about piety, it is about power.
  • Mitch_4
    Options
    I DID NOT WANT TO

Start a religious debate here.

It is omissions and changes to Classic/historic texts to "not offend" that raise my anger and lower the boiling point.

• Tony_8
    Tony_8 Member Posts: 608
    Options
    Au Contraire Rob

Religious freedom and freedom from religious persecution were very real and big reasons people came here in the early days of the founding of this country. There were many reasons people came here to start new lives, but religious issues were among the top. We shouldn't minimize ANY reasons for immigration in the early days of our great country, they were ALL important to somebody.

• S Ebels
    Options

> Mostly, people who talk abstractly about religion

> are in fact advocating one particular religion.

> It is not about piety, it is about power.

• S Ebels
    Options
    A good way to tell

who's religious and who's not. A person who is truly religious realizes that he/she is a servant of their fellow human beings not a master. It's about allowing yourself to be controlled or maybe, not in control is a better way of putting it, and experiencing the complete freedom that comes with that.

My e-mail address works if you would like to discuss further. This place is for heating problems/solutions.
  • Tom_35
    Tom_35 Member Posts: 265
    Options
    politics and religion

Unfortunately, we are being bombarded with political stuff and can't get away from it. I realize that the Wall is for heating problems/advice, but ball games, world series, etc, and there is plenty of banter posted.

My opinion---if it is politically correct, it's Biblically corrupt.

TA
  • Constantin
    Options
    Hey, the wall is all about learning!

I learn to think in all sorts of new ways while taking in literature and thoughts alike on heating systems. I'm happy to help where I can, so thanks for the note.

One very interesting site re: Urban Legends and like is Snopes.com. The main reason the e-mail in question raised my eyebrows was just how it was designed to raise blood pressure levels in a very predictable manner, by victimizing veterans that had sacrificed so much for their beloved country. It is precisely the gut reaction that has to be ignored under those circumstances. Recognize the message for what it is, a provocation, albeit a cleverly written one.

I agree that fairy tales and the like should not be Disney'ed to no end, yet parents seem to demand it or the market wouldn't be providing it. For example, I was OK with the fate of the evil queen at the end of snow white, even though most parents today would probably squirm at having to tell their children what it means to be tortured to death. The brother Grimm stories are also rather graphic... but they contain the lessons that parents try to instill, like the need responsibility, obedience, etc.
This discussion has been closed.