Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Suntec oil pumps on beckett burners (Noise)

Rob_19
Rob_19 Member Posts: 1
Just wondering--how much pump whine noise is normal? I have a reman P4 91R from Sid harveys--Been on the burner for about 1 season--Pump is clean-oil is filtered and oil tank and lines are new..I get a nice burning fire Zero smoke test (using .75 80 noz) and there is no after drip/smoke... Pressure is 100lbs..I would have to say a slight whine of some sort is normal? I did bleed the pump to see if the whine changed but it didnt--oil comes out clean and fast-no air in line.. I have a 1 line system here.. Thanks..... Rob

Comments

• Charlie Masone
    Charlie Masone Member Posts: 66
    Suntec pump noise

I understand that all fuel units usually have a bit if air trapped in them that I guess you could say "cushions" out the noise, if the pump actually gets to the point that there is no air at all in the pump we get to a situation that is called hydraulic lock. If you were to dump all of the oil out of the pump, put it back, and prime it it would probably stop until all the air worked its way out again. If you install a OSV valve this will also go away by keeping a slight suction on the pump
  • J.C.A._3
    J.C.A._3 Member Posts: 2,981
    Trust Charlie.

I think he's got the right answer. (remember back to the "dark days", when some pumps came with a "wafer/air cushion bladder" inserted in them.)I think that with the bleeder being at the bottom of the pump, and sealed as they are now-a-days, there remains a bit of air cushion, kind of built in.

Do you have a vacuum guage attached when testing? I also notice that you make no mention of the pump strainer. If you have cleaned and changed it, did the fuel unit gasket go in with the right orientation? Believe it or not, it really does make a difference. The gasket will fit upside down, but the bypass hole for the unit will not do its job if the gasket is upside down, the air will be recirculated in the pump causing some whine.(especially in a single line set-up). Some food for thought. Chris
  • jaybee
    jaybee Member Posts: 128

Could u explain this to me how this happens? I,m just having a little trouble following.
  • tommyoil
    tommyoil Member Posts: 613
    clean and fast maybe, but.......

Whats your pump vacuum read??? Also, overhead oil line by any chance???
This discussion has been closed.