Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Honeywell Powervent

Options
Dof3
Dof3 Member Posts: 120
Has anyone had any problems with the Honeywell powervent. I have one that has started to blow water out of the top instead of air. I don't mean little spurts, it filled a five gallon bucket and flooded the boiler room. This is the second time this has happened on this system.The first time I got a little repair kit for it,but I think it is more than that. Any advice?

Comments

• lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    Options
    confused

powervent? Do you maybe mean a hy-vent?
  • Dof3
    Options
    Hi-vent?

No this is like Spirovent air eliminator.
  • Jon_2
    Jon_2 Member Posts: 109
    Options
    air vent

I believe you mean a honeywell sparco air vent. I installed six of them 5 years ago, ten bucks cheaper than a Spirovent. What a mistake, replaced the float assembly several times on all of them. Replaced 3 expansion tanks on my nickel and paid for two cellar clean-ups. Finally cut all of them out and replaced them with Spirovents along with 4 new expansion tanks again on my nickel. Everyone I tore apart showed hairline cracks on the plastic seat that the float plunger rubber contacted. I'm still PO'd about them, for they cost me in excess of 4 grand that the supply house just said sorry about that. They are a real P-O-S. Replace it with a spirovent and s--t can the Sparco Vent for it is nothing but crap. Jon
  • Dof3
    Options
    Jon,I think you are right

I have quite a few of these out also, same reason they were cheaper. I have replaced the guts on 4 of them and I just had 1 pea all over the boiler room for the second time in 2 seasons. I am going to replace it with a Sparco and put in a great big drain pan under the boiler, just in case. Thanks for your input. I think I will call down to Mexico and talk to the Honeywell company about this problem.
  • BillW@honeywell
    BillW@honeywell Member Posts: 1,099
    Options
    Sorry you had a problem...

The old "Powervent" has been replaced by the Supervent series, which has some major changes in it, most notably a leak-proof seal. The Powervents had a 1 year from date of installation warranty, if the failure occured in that time the supply house should have given you credit or a new replacement. If that's the case, let me know. Also, an FYI, these products are all made in Rhode Island, which, last time I looked, was in still in the USA! You can use the new Supervent series with confidence, they should not cause any problems.
  • Jon_2
    Jon_2 Member Posts: 109
    Options
    Supply house support

The supply house gave me a dozen float assemblies, and I used them all up. They were worthless all so, leaked in less than two to three months. Needless to say it left a sour taste in my mouth when I think of them and to say nothing of the money loss......
  • BillW@honeywell
    BillW@honeywell Member Posts: 1,099
    Options
    I'm glad your supply house...

at least, tried to help you. Drop me an email "off the Wall" at the above email name, and include your name, company name & address. You can also include a phone number.
  • Dof3
    Options
    Sorry Bill

I did not look at where this was made. My mistake, everything else Honeywell has is made in Mexico and I just assumed... Back to the Powervent, I did pick up a new model today,10/29/04, and I am going to replace it tomorrow. I am sure Honeywell and my supplier would be happy to help pick up the tab on the damage caused by this failure [NOT]. The thing that makes me mad is, I repaired it this spring after the system only ran about 4 days. It also damaged the boiler room and surrounding areas,to the tune of $1400.00. We put in drain pans and other safe guards to no avail. Well, no one else will help the little guys so tighten up and do it yourself. That is what I was always told. By the way this the last Honeywell brand I will use.
This discussion has been closed.