Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

hidden leak under slab

Options
I service a 12 unit building w/hot weter heat and suspect a leak in one of the lower apts.I tried installing ball valves for isolation and still looking.any one know any good leak finding companies in the chicago area.

Comments

• gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    Options
    how about trying

American Leak Detection
    7982 Illinois Rt. 2 South, Dixon, IL 61021
    815-652-1000 • FAX: 815-652-1000
    americanleak@grics.net

gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

• jim murtaugh
    jim murtaugh Member Posts: 72
    Options
    leak

Thanks I will give them a call
  • tom_49
    tom_49 Member Posts: 269
    Options

I just read Dan's book Hydronic Radiant Heating ( great read BTW ). He tells a funny story about a guy trying to find a leak in slab only to have the lady HO show him how w/ a mop.She ran the mop over the floor and watches as the pipes showed up as lines and the leak showed up as a circle (fascinating ). Another thing he talked about is using a stethoscope? That might help.
  • Constantin
    Constantin Member Posts: 3,796
    Options
    Several options...

...one Wallie mentioned Leakbusters as an excellent outfit. They'll allegedly find just about anything.

The water-on-the-floor means of finding pipes works also, as long as they're good and hot. In carpeted areas, cats apparently are excellent indicators for localized hot spots. If you want to do this the new-fashioned way, borrow or rent a thermal camera. The thermal bloom should show up pretty quickly.
  • jim murtaugh
    Options
    thermal camera

First off I just happened on this web sight a couple of weeks ago now I find myself visiting and learning almost every day after 15+ years in the trade. I even took care of a h.o. who had some problems w/ his boiler although he did not accept my proposal to correct all of his issues.will this thermal camera work in carpeted areas?
  • Constantin
    Constantin Member Posts: 3,796
    Options
    It should work...

...as long as the sensitivity of the camera is high enough. For example, I doubt that using infrared-film in a regular film camera would do the trick.

On the other hand, Wallies like hot rod and others have shown very fine temperature gradations while investigating various insulation schemes for staple-up pipe installs.

I'd crank the temperature of the supply water as high as is safe to get the pipes to really stand out from the background "clutter". The greater the ΔT between the pipes and the floor surfaces around them, the more they should stand out, regardless of how insulative the carpeting may be.
  • jerry scharf_2
    jerry scharf_2 Member Posts: 414
    Options
    yes they would, but

Jim,

Those cameras are very cool and very expensive. One company will lease them for $800 per week. They sell for anywhere between $7000 and $30000, so they are not is most people's budgets.

I'm pretty sure Hot Rod doesn't own the camera that he used for those great pictures.

jerry
  • Sweet
    Sweet Member Posts: 31
    Options
    Jim

Ive had real good exprerience using a hand held infra red scope . Fairly inexpensive and trustworthy. Reytec or Raytec makes a good one.
  • jim murtaugh
    Options
    raytec

I have a pretty good raytec I will give it a shot
    thanks
This discussion has been closed.