Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

high CO readings, interesting cause

tim smith
tim smith Member Posts: 2,752
Went out on a no heat call last saturday, customer shut off as the handle on the control cover was partly melted and smelled like burned plastic. Copper tube boiler. Already had a good idea it was blocked up. Got there and took cover off, melted ignition module, overheated gas valve. Pulled top and burner assembly and cleaned sooted heat x. Put new module and gas valve on. cleaned burners and pilot, checked venturis of burner, found spider and web in one of the 2 burners causing high CO in flue. Cleared and assembled and fired up, CO ok now. Checked operation of controls and set gas pressure. Combustion ok. NOTE: we have been seeing more and more of the spider and webs in orifices and burner venturis over the last 2 years than ever before. Just an interesting note.

Comments

• Ken D.
    Ken D. Member Posts: 836
    CO

Thank you for the info.
  • Mark Walnicki_2
    Mark Walnicki_2 Member Posts: 32
    Spiders, webs, nests

Did a lot of pool heater work this past summer.

One pool heater sooted up 3 times!, each time due to spiders taking up residence in and around the orifices and primary air/venturi intake. Doesn't take much to cause a world of trouble...

I finally told the guy to spray the burner area and area around the heater with bug/spider spray once a week as part of his normal maintenance routine. Saw more spiders, nests & webs this year than I have in the past 8. Thought I was the only one!
  • Gary Reecher
    Gary Reecher Member Posts: 111

On monoport burners such as Coleman manufactured home furnaces it common to find tiny spiders which have built a web back behind the orfice in the gas valve.
  • Carl PE
    Carl PE Member Posts: 203
    Heh

I have to clean them out of the burner on my gas grill every spring.
This discussion has been closed.