Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Replaced a dry fired steamer

Options
I called in sick the day before turkey day and get stuck with this one the day after . Check out the burn on the side . And the other pic is a Taco 007 , date code of 2002 and corroded internally already .

Comments

• Burnham V83 and Beckett burner

We also installed the baseboard zone off a coil and connected an auto feeder for the steam side . I messed up the wiring . I am so used to using a relay on a steam boiler with a Riello burner , I forgot about the T T terminals on the Beckett . Hence , the 2 zone relay on the boiler . Oops .
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    Options
    Did you

Ask for permission to get sick? LOL, nice job per the norm...Have to admit I love the way you do the drop header. Everyone you do look's perfect!! Hope your feeling better...
  • Dave Palmer_3
    Dave Palmer_3 Member Posts: 388
    Options
    why

didn't you pipe the new like the old,save the company some money ;) Dave
  • kevin coppinger_4
    kevin coppinger_4 Member Posts: 2,124
    Options
  • todd s
    todd s Member Posts: 212
    Options
    big blue

That look's like a petro/burnham. I believe there is an Armstrong furnace that matches also.
  • Bruce M.
    Bruce M. Member Posts: 143
    Options
    Do you expect us to feel sorry for you?

Next year I expect you to volunteer to work on Thanksgiving to make up for this.
  • Constantin
    Constantin Member Posts: 3,796
    Options
    Nice Install!

... as always, I guess! The piping looks great, and I hope the HO's pick up on the need for the drop-header and all the other goodies you added. Plus, perhaps the pump and all that will last a bit longer this time around...

Once again, I lament the absence of a IDWH replacement for the (still running, I assume) oil-fired WH next-door. But I suppose that's not up to you, eh? ;-)

• Yep , feeling alot better

In fact , I felt good enough today to run a new power service line up my home and install a new meter box next to the old one . Just gotta find someone to tie it in to the live wire at the roof line - that kind of voltage scares me .

The drop header seems to be saving us from alot of pain by giving us an extra swing to make up for the boiler or steam main being not so level . This floor was real uneven .

Thanks alot Lchmb , I appreciate your reply .
  • The homeowner

wasn't there . Their son was and he must've asked us 5 times during the day - how long till we're done ? He finally gave up around 3ish and went to the mall . This was a home without heat for over a week . White clothes hanging on 2 clothes lines across the boiler , furniture and dirty laundry all over the small boiler room . If it was me without heat that long , I woulda had the room EMPTY .

We haven't tried an indirect on a steam boiler yet . I wonder how the warantees of various indirect manufactures handle an indirect tied directly into steam water ? We could add another zone to the coil side , but I'm not sure about the recovery rate going this way .

Thank you Constantin .
  • Dave , do you mean

why not pipe the baseboard zone into the boiler directly ? I guess changing a pump every 2 years could wind up costing the homeowner more in the long run , if we kept the piping as it was . This way works fantastic.
  • Yes , good eyes

on both of you . It was the Petro Blue cover for the boiler - even had the sticker in the jacket box . Someone must have mislabeled the carton . It's all good , we all work as one big happy family . And I kinda like the darker color .
  • Dave Palmer_3
    Dave Palmer_3 Member Posts: 388
    Options
    no

just push the old out and the new in,that old piping job looked sweet;) dave
  • Constantin
    Constantin Member Posts: 3,796
    Options
    ....not that I expect you to run out and try...

...but the fine 300-series horizontal IDWH's from Viessmann can be fired directly by steam. The delicious part you'd get to figure out is how to priority-zone the steam and how to deal with the economics of running such a system in the summertime.

On the other hand, the homeowner would be able to get rid of his firstborn at the time of install to pay for the transaction. Seems like a win for everyone! ;-)
  • Summertime fuel usage

I set the aquastat on the boiler to 150 , and on the 1st startup it took maybe 3 or 4 minutes to heat to that temp . Very fast . I would guess cold starting the system with an indirect can be very economical in the summertime . Prioritizing the indirect wouldn't be a problem with a 3 zone relay . I was going to prioritize the steam zone , but we had no problems running the baseboard and steam together . Thanks for the Viessmann indirect info . If the tank is priced like their heating equipment , it'll be a tough sell around here . But from what I hear , you definitely get what you pay for with the Viessmann line .
  • And don't forget

Christmas and New Year's Day .
  • Yes , from what I hear

the Viessmann line of equipment is pricey , but you definitely get what you pay for . Thanks for the .pdf link Constantin .

The boiler / indirect combo would be a big fuel saver in the summer , compared to that old oil fired heater . On the 1st startup it took maybe 3 or 4 minutes to heat the boiler to 160 . Prioritizing the indirect wouldn't be a problem with a 3 zone relay . I was going to priritize the steam zone , but we had no problems running it with the baseboard zone .
This discussion has been closed.