Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Electrical

Options
Hugues
Hugues Member Posts: 2
Why use a low voltage thermostat, relay and transformer instead of a high voltage thermostat to turn on a circulator?

Zoning with a circulator and the high voltage thermostat opens and closes the circuit. To me it's much simpler then using a 24v transformer to power a thermostat, then the thermostat trips a 24v to 120 v relay to turn on a circulator? You save on the transformer and relay with using a dirt cheap electric baseboard thermostat that is rated at 1500W plus usage for a 100W circulator.

I'm new to this, so please show me the path.

Thank you. Hugues

Comments

• jim lockard
    jim lockard Member Posts: 1,059
    Options
    circulator

Sure you can do that Hugh Pull #14 wire through the home connect a line voltage T-stat to control the circulator and away you go. Most of the time your going to want to control more then one fuction and I have found that dropping down to 24 volts for the control is much easier, plus most manufactors of heating controls think in 24 volts. But yes to answer your question you can run 115 volt control circuits just obey the NEC. Happy T day J.Lockard
  • Ken_8
    Ken_8 Member Posts: 1,640
    Options
    Because

1. 115V 'stats are inaccurate

2. 115V 'stats require expensive 14/2 w/g. Ever try to snake that stuff?

3. No reliable 115V 'stats are programable.

4. No permit is required for a 24V 'stat.

5. 24V 'stats are available with programmable features.

6. It easy to snake 24V '18 GA. 'stat wire.

7. Power stealing options exist for 24V 'stats.

8. In most apps., a 24V relay is required anyhow.

9. 115V 'stats are typically large and obtrusive.

10. All 115V stats must be mounted on a j-box.

Who needs all that grief?

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Mark Eatherton1
    Mark Eatherton1 Member Posts: 2,542
    Options
    'cause

technically speaking, if its over 24 volts, it requires the use of a licensed electrician, which would disqualify 99% of the heating contractors that do their own control work. That and the litany of reasons that Ken gave are all good reasons.

Every job that I've seen screwed up wiring wise were done by a licensed electrician. When queried about it, and asked why all the pumps ran all the time, the response is "If'n ya didn't want it to run all the time, why'd ya have me run power to it??"

Not all electricans understand relay logic.

ME

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Robert O'Connor_7
    Robert O'Connor_7 Member Posts: 688
    Options
    Hugues...

Just because we like to make things difficult, thats why..Robert O'Connor/NJ

Can I add one more? - safety.

It always scared me to have line voltage at an ungrounded thermostat.
  • jim lockard
    jim lockard Member Posts: 1,059
    Options
    are you

scared of light switches as well Alan ? Line voltage T-stats have a ground term. LOL Best wishes J.Lockard
  • Canuck
    Canuck Member Posts: 57
    Options
    Item #3

FYI - Honeywell makes a programmable line stat. I'm not sure but I hear that they make OK equipment.
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    Options
    Succinct.

Yet descriptive *~/:)
This discussion has been closed.