Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

coldstart or ??

Options
jay_7
jay_7 Member Posts: 6
I'm considering a new boiler. My existing boiler is very old. As of now it operates off an aquastat that maintains the boiler temperature. what is this type of system called? and am I better off with this type of boiler or a cold start boiler. What are the pros and cons of each? My house has cast iron radiators and its a hot water system. I also have a stand alone hot water heater.

Thanks

Comments

• lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    Options

cold start pros. If you have no hot water from the system, it doesn't run all summer long. Saving alot of money...cons- the system crud's up from condenation, expands and contract's everytime (biggest affect on a cast boiler) allowing over time for leak's.

Warm start-cons, uses more fuel over the summer. pros-faster response on a demand for heat-longer boiler life. I would however recommend if your going this route you do away with the stand along HW heater and add in a indirect tank and save some money that way. If you have minimal use you could also put in a boiler with a coil.

I may be wrong but I think over time more contractors are leaning towards a warm start boiler. If I am wrong I am sure they will tell me..:)
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928
    Options
    Warm Start

I thought that was really the only option with those old, high water content, cast iron boilers. If not using the boiler for your domestic hot water, a simple mechanical outdoor reset control is a particularly good thing to use on that system.
  • DaveGateway
    DaveGateway Member Posts: 568
    Options
    cold start

I would only consider it on non cast iron low mass boilers.
    So all the condensing gas boilers are OK since they're stainless or aluminum. For oil, low mass steel or flex cast like Laars Max, Burnham LE, or Biasi. Boilers with tankless coils should be avoided for cold start as the temp changes seem to dry out the coil gasket quickly which will leak.
  • jay_7
    jay_7 Member Posts: 6
    Options

so my boiler can be used as a cold start?
    Its very old the info on it is
    Weil mclain size 7825, series 3
    There also is a tag that reads:
    max wp 1.8;
    steam 15;
    water 30;
    What does this mean?
    Thanks for all the help.
  • Steve_35
    Steve_35 Member Posts: 546
    Options
    We use cold start

on all boilers we install. We tend to stay away from tankless coils and use indirect water heaters.
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    Options
    wouldnt'

I wouldn't switch your existing system which has been run hot all these year's to a cold start. I think you are asking for troubles at the wrong time of the year. But that's just my 2 cents..:)
  • Steve_35
    Steve_35 Member Posts: 546
    Options
    Agreed, but

it would be a great time to update the whole system and save him some money while giving him more comfort.
This discussion has been closed.