Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

First Ultra install,a few questions

Options
hr
hr Member Posts: 6,106
I have uncrated the unit, which by the way is well crated and handle-able A+

I like the adjustable legs and the ability to wall mount A+

Nice to be able to supply gas from top or bottom, again A+

Looks like supply and return can be from bottom or top? Instructions refer you to wall mount supplement which is not included? Maybe comes with optional wall mount kit. Wonder if one could use the top supply and bottom return?

I like that the flue temperature sensor doubles as a combustion analyzer test port, nice feature A+

Wiring is poorly placed behind vent and air connections C for this :)

Instruction seem well thought out even piping schematics.

Looking forward to this install. It, a 230,000 input, will handle a large DHW load, via an 80 gallon indirect, and some small radiant zones.

I'd like to buffer via the indirect as my 6 radiant zones are fairly low load zones.

I welcome any tips or install pointers. Thanks

hot rod

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=144&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• Floyd_7
    Floyd_7 Member Posts: 136
    Options
    Will be interested to see what you think....

I have found that boiler to be everything I want and more...
    The wiring is a bugger, but hey you can't have everything.. :-)

I have found that it is easiest to hookup the wiring before you mount the boiler to the wall, or set it in place against a wall. No big deal, just requires a bit of planning.
    If you have power surges or fluctuations you may want to buffer the electric with a small ups unit.

Get in touch with Steve @ WM and get intructions n how to turn off the boost feature and reset the outdoor reset. You can adjust the linear curve by playing with the high/low, water/outdoor temps.

I'm sure you'll have tons o fun and keep us well informed....

Floyd

• A.J.
    A.J. Member Posts: 257
    Options
    piping is critical

as a few H.C. in are area found out.just follow the install instructions (increase pipe dia. on supp.& ret.) right off the boiler in particular because flow is very important. We haven't had any problems with hard or soft lock outs except for the bad draft inducer and I was wondering what other guys were seeing.

Good Luck Hot ROD
    Andy
  • Tony_8
    Tony_8 Member Posts: 608
    Options
    Just wait !

I believe you'll be quite impressed. I agree with the wiring location issue, but where else could it go ? The only other thing I take issue with is the straightness of the risers. All I've done are not plumb on one side and it "tips" my piping out of plumb and square.
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Options
    Could it be this simple?

pipe the indirect from the bottom connections, and the radiant from the top. Seeing as the control with priority only allows one pump to run at a time. Checks in the pumps and indirect return of course.

Think I will buy some terminal strips and move the wiring before I mount the sucker.

hot rod

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Floyd_7
    Floyd_7 Member Posts: 136
    Options
    Yah, Yah....

But I thought you was usin' the DHW tank as a buffer??
    Leave it to you to think of something like that....
    don't see why it won't work as lond as the both pumps don,t run at the same time.....
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928
    Options
    Car Wash?

Curious...what happened to the buffer? Did you leave off three radiant zones for clarity?

IF a car wash, will assume that most of those radiant zones will be operating at the same time. Radiant load expected to be above the low-level modulation rate most of the time?

If so, that sure looks like a sweet, simple system!

As long as the Ultra doesn't mind high delta-t and the resulting lowered flow through the HX, might I suggest a system flow with a rather high delta-t (at least 40°) at design conditions? That way you'll still have a decent delta-t and good HX efficiency in warmer weather.
  • David Van Wickler_3
    Options
    Ultra

I just finished installing a modular Ultra 155 installation (pictures today). It serves a WM 120 indirect (the house has a 2" copper cold water main and 1-1/2" hot water main). 4 hot water back-up fan coils, 9,000 square feet of radiant via Taco injection control (2-way esp zone valve with a tekmar enhanced motor), and a 300mbtuh SS heat exchanger for pool and spa heating.

I built three panels with flat black formica backing and polished all the copper with oooo steel wool, brasso and then two coats of car polish.

The boilers are AWESOME. Do all the wiring prior to installing the venting.

ALSO - BE VERY CAREFUL TIGHTENING THE SUPPLY AND RETURN PIPING TO THE BOILER - THIS IS IMO THE WEAKEST LINK IN THE ENTIRE BOILER.

There is only (1) u-bolt holding the supply and return piping to the boiler. It is very easy to tweak and then the compression fitting at the bottom will (WILL) weap.

Other than that - I have sold two more jobs with the Ultra 155 and the 60 gallon indirect.

For gas systems - the Ultra is hard to beat. But now that AO Smith has a wall hung boiler and it's very economically priced I may offer a condensing and non-condensing system option.

- Good luck - any questions please feel free to call me at 631 379 4937

• Jason Horner
    Jason Horner Member Posts: 58
    Options

Hot Rod,

How did you finally pipe this install?
    Any other thoughts on the Ultra after having gone through the install?
This discussion has been closed.