Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Rhinebeck Aerodrome in trouble?

DaveC
DaveC Member Posts: 201
first time there, enjoyed being able to view the astounding collection of very early 1900's planes on display - didn't see the famous airshow, though. It was a beautiful day, but the place was earily empty - even though all the area B+B's were booked. Supposedly the summer attendance is way down, even though the price for the shows is very low. Looked on the internet for pictures, which there is alot of - but also stories of longtime volunteers being let go, sabatoge, and stealing! Anyone know what's going on? I was hoping to go back next season :^(

Comments

• Wild Bill
    Wild Bill Member Posts: 112
    Rhinebeck

Boy, did that post bring back memories. I used to live near by and spent many weekends there. I remember paying 10 cents for sodas on the Honor system!!!!! These venues, when they are gone, take away part of our heritage which will otherwise dissapear......how sad.
    Rest in Peace Red Baron and Eddie Rickenbacker
    Wild Bill
  • Robert O'Connor_7
    Robert O'Connor_7 Member Posts: 688
    Ah Rhinebeck!

If you get the chance, go get some grub at the Beekman Arms, the free range turky pot pie is to die for...Thanks for the reminder....Robert O'Connor/NJ
  • DaveC
    Yeah, the area is very...

scenic and peaceful. Enjoyed lots of good food - duck at the Beekman and a farm-made apple pie that was definitely to die for! I understand the airshow has it's own "Black Baron" in the Fokker triplane. I figured alot of regulars here are familiar with the region and enjoy these type of things, hopefully things will get straightened out there.
  • BillW@honeywell
    BillW@honeywell Member Posts: 1,099
    Nice area...

Drive south a bit & check out Fredrick Vanderbilt's mansion, and FDR's mansion & gravesite. The desk he was sitting at when he heard about Pearl Harbor is set up there in a replica Oval Office. Fascinating stuff!
  • Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    My understanding

was when Cole Palen passed away, he had made provisions beforehand to preserve the aerodrome.

I know that if I lived closer, that place would have been my second home. My parents have pictures of my sister and I as tykes feeding the ducks, and I can still remember the last time I saw Cole after an airshow, standing by his triplane-early 90's ish.

Hope it sticks around..
  • Darin Cook_3
    Darin Cook_3 Member Posts: 389
    Olde Rhinebeck Aerodrome is a great place

to take the family to. I took my folks and kids there last year. What a display of early aviation. I did not make it there this summer, but I want to go for a ride in that 1920's bi-plane. I think they wanted $40, well worth the chance to ride in that aircraft. I knew Cole had passed a few years back but did not know they were in trouble. I would highly recommend a visit to the Aerodrome.

Darin
  • DaveC
    They still offer the bi-plane rides...

for $ 40 - only 20 minutes or so, but we saw a couple of families go up and they said it was great! My wife chickened out - that got me (the real chicken) out of it, the easy way! I think they do the shows until mid-October, then continue the rides up to this weekend. Just strolling around, peeking into the past (at no cost) was good enough for me that day.
This discussion has been closed.